PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Blend Door Actuator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Default 2004 H2 Passenger Side Actuator Problem

I have a 2004 H2 and over the weekend I disconneted the battery to do some repairs. I was not in the dash area at all. I actually did not effect any electrical areas. Once I reconnected the ground cable and drove the vehicle. I noticed that the passenger side was blowing very hot air. The Driver and rear sides were fine. I did try it again a few hours later and the system worked briefy. But once I started the vehicle another time we were back to hot air on the passenger side. I have read the threads and it seems like the passenger side blend actuator is defective. I am just confused as to the location. Can I reach this part from the bottom once I remove the glove box or the passenger side actuator on the top?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:01 AM

jhummer69: That is exactly what happened to mine. Disconnected the battery and it went out. The passenger actuator is not the one under the glove box. That is the driver actuator. You will need to remove the entire dash to reach the passenger actuator. Follow the instructions here and it is not that hard.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 AM

I was able to replace the passenger side door actuator. I used the directions found on this thread. It is located on the top. It is the more difficult one to remove. I removed the entire dash including the center radio and heater control cover. This is not a must but it was nice to have it out of the way. I was not able to remove the AC duct, but loosening it by removing the screws make it easier to get you fingers in to remove the screws holding the actuator. The actuator is just below the duct. A ratchet style 7mm metric wrench would have made it easier, but a regular box end wrench and alot of patience will get the job done. Understanding the sequence of which dash pieces to pull off first make the job easier. It will be a much easier job if I ever had to do it again. (Hopefully I never will)

Old 05-24-2012, 02:50 PM

Please taka more pictures to this work.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:08 AM

I took pictures of the actuators as I replaced them. I will download them from my camera and post them in the thread I started about it.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:04 AM

Thank you all for this info. I am going to attempt the Passenger side actuator replacement this week. Driver side is cool (not cold), but pass side is 156degrees (measured using my digital meat thermometer). It's been 103-108 all week here in St. Louis, so hopefully I can start riding with my windows up for a change.

Does anyone happen to know what the MAX PSI should read for the AC lines???
I recharged my AC and I'm getting about 70-75 PSI with my AC on MAX.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:27 PM

Hey guys can someone tell me where the blend door actuator is? I'm stuck on defrost only. I have my center column, glove box, speedo assembly and top dash all removed. I just need to know where the correct actuator is so I can take it out.

thanks for any help

Attached Thumbnails Blend Door Actuator Replacement-dash2.jpg  
Old 08-01-2012, 09:40 PM

Ok guys here is my issue. Drivers side was cold, passenger side hot. after removing the dash replaced the passenger side acuator located on top. Now cold on both driver and passenger sides but only blows out on the floor. Cant change temp or vents, only fan speed will change. Took it to the dealership, thought it was the climate control module, put a new one on same response, no change in temp and only blows out on the floor. Tried to reset it but nothing happens. BTW checked all fuses. Dealership thinks there is a pinched wire but I believe I traced everything and the wires seem fine.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:08 AM

Well my issue was the control module not opening the vents so it was stuck on defrost. That was an easy fix, but with the temp not changing as well it sounds like you may have something more going on. To check that module you can disconect the negative battery cable for a minute then get in the car, look up under the dash on drivers side towards center column, (remove the side bottom vent tube that goes towards drivers door) there will be an actuator there with a semi round plastic slotted piece behind it. If it doesnt move at all when you turn the key on I'd replace it. about 65 bucks at any auto shop.

As for all the people that said the whole dash needs to come out to replace that blend door actuator, well you all know about nothing it seems. Not one piece of the dash needs to come out for this job, but at least I know how to do it now I guess. Only 2 of the 4 actuators need any part of the dash removed to replace so be careful what you read here. wasted 2 days tearing down and putting back together my vehicle for what should of been a 20 min. job.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:06 PM

FIXED IT!!!! Failed to mention before I started working on the acuator I had the dealership fix the speedometer. I didnt check the AC controls when I got home just started tearing into it. Traced everything I did then decided to take the screws out of the speedometer, BINGO. I guess one of the screws was shorting something out. Now everything on the controls works, temp, vents, fan speed, etc. Now I get to put it all back together, talk about frustration. Thanks for all the info, maybe no one will have to go what I went through.

Quick Reply: Blend Door Actuator Replacement