PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Blacked out side markers

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Default Blacked out side markers

I've seen on a few peoples pictures their side marker light covers are blacked out....1. Is this legal? I know most cars don't have them so I'm assuming you don't need them. 2. How do you do it?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:12 PM

I tried using VHT Niteshades spray tint, and then clear coating and messed my markers up. Just buy these, I have them now and the quality is just as good as OEM. I spent more on sandpaper, spray tint, clearcoat, etc than if I would have found these to begin with. Be warned they're dark, like pitch black dark, but they do allow plenty of light through! The seller also seems like a good guy, shipping was fast and he answered any questions I had super quick,

Smoked / Tinted Side Marker Lenses Hummer H3, H3T, H6 | eBay

The only thing is the inside of the lens is NOT yellow, so you'll need to buy yellow bulbs, the OEM ones are clear and are made to be yellow by the color of the marker.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 PM

Do I need yellow? Can they just flash clear?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by CFRED70
Do I need yellow? Can they just flash clear?
Our side markers don't flash. They can be clear if you want sure, but new bulbs are $5 and you'll have access to them anyways when installing the new markers. Clear won't match the turn signals.

I just went yellow because I wanted them to match my turn signals and roof marker lights, I'm totally OCD about that kind of stuff.....

Old 04-26-2011, 01:52 PM

I wonder if I just black out the lense and put a burnt out bulb in there....I don't want them to light up....

Old 04-26-2011, 02:20 PM

I wonder if I just black out the lense and put a burnt out bulb in there....I don't want them to light up....
You could just leave them empty, it shouldn't trip any codes or cause any DIC messages. I tried finding the fuse for them one time, but gave up after pulling everything in my manual that could be remotely related to the side markers.

The bulb plug goes into the housing, and turns down to a locked position. It has a gasket so you should be able to leave it empty since its water tight.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:23 PM

You can find the blacked out lenses on Ebay, they are good quality...I had them on my other '07. Also, if you do not want them to light up, just unplug the wire harness from the bulb...that way the lens does not fill up with dirt, sand, water, etc.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by airborne227
You can find the blacked out lenses on Ebay, they are good quality...I had them on my other '07. Also, if you do not want them to light up, just unplug the wire harness from the bulb...that way the lens does not fill up with dirt, sand, water, etc.
I already posted the link to ebay for him!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:43 AM

I smoked all my orange lights..side markers, turn signals and the 5 roof markers.
Looks much better now on a black Hummer..And I still get the orange light coming through when I signal...All this done with 3M tinted adhesive..5 years warranty and water proof, and you can remove it whenever u want to..

Old 04-27-2011, 01:22 AM

see picture.............

Attached Thumbnails Blacked out side markers-24042011170.jpg  

Quick Reply: Blacked out side markers