PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Biodiesel in your H1

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Biodiesel in your H1

Injun, what do you do to keep the fuel fresh if you let the H1 sit that long. Will a normal fuel additive work as well on the biodiesel fuel?

Old 05-11-2008, 06:04 PM

I am just saying i only use biodiesel for a couple months actually more like 5 months but that is just due to weather dont want the biodiesel gellin' up in my lines but once there is a biodiesel station in my city I plan on running it all year long just I cannot justify traveling 20min to fill up half a tank to cut it with regular diesel to make it B10 for the colder months.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Just wondering if any of the fuel stabilizers work on the biodiesel fuels.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:39 AM

My understanding is that performance additives are not nearly as effective with biodiesel as they are with petroleum diesel -- I can't verify that with a solid reference source, though.

ORIGINAL: 3hummers

Just wondering if any of the fuel stabilizers work on the biodiesel fuels.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Manny

Old 05-13-2008, 11:06 AM

with bio-fuels you do not need any performance enhancers / additives....

Nothing lubricates your fuel system better then 2% bio in a petrol solution.... study on this was on www.thedieselplace.com under fluids discussion

Old 05-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Phazer my question was directed toward the life of the fuel. Since many H1 owners don't drive their vehicles regularly I wondered if the fuel stabilizers that keep gas and diesel from degenerating would also work on the bio-fuels. Not sure that is what you are trying to answer or not.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:52 PM

I run B5-B99 on my 98, no issues so far in the last 7000 miles. My fuel source is refined at a big plant and meets ASTM standards.

I think a few people get biodiesel mixed up with running veggie oil which is a different beast. It's all good if you have good quality fuel.

If you are buying biodiesel from some guy in a backyard who skips steps in production then you may have problems.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:55 AM

"with bio-fuels you do not need any performance enhancers / additives...."

That statement may be true in some ways, but can also be a little misleading; additives are not used exclusively for lubricity and cetane ratings - one of the primary uses for fuel additives (like Stanadyne's Performance Additive) is to lower the gel point/clouding for cold weather performance and prevent clogging, etc.

2% Biodiesel/Petrol will not perform "better" in that regard in cold weather (it will likely perform worse, actually), and an additive to improve tolerance to cold before clouding would still be advantageous.

ORIGINAL: phazer42

with bio-fuels you do not need any performance enhancers / additives....

Nothing lubricates your fuel system better then 2% bio in a petrol solution.... study on this was on www.thedieselplace.com under fluids discussion

Old 06-05-2008, 08:49 PM

Manny,

Thanks - it is good to note the gel points with Bio. There are ways to make bio, as I am sure you are aware, that do help with the gel point as you mentioned but for the majority (8mos or so+) of the year in the continental US (barring Alaska) you are OK as long as the temps are generally stable and above 40 degs F..... below you may run into gelling issues.... as to when the gelling will occur, that is dictated by the type of oil used, how it was mixed etc.... but generally most bio fuels aren't rated for less then freezing. Kerosene is an addtive that can be used to lower the gel point as one example.... as well as other "brand" varients which, have varing results.....

Quick Reply: Biodiesel in your H1