PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

BFG All Terrain Tire Owners - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Default BFG All Terrain Tire Owners - Advice

I purchased some 285 BFG All-Terrains KOs last week to replace my stock 265s and am in need of some help. First does anyone ever find the road noise on the highway annoying. In the city I hardly hear annoying but on the highway the noise seems to get to me sometimes. I'm not sure if it's just cause I am focusing on it so much or the specific tread pattern. Has anyone tried the BFGs and hated them only to go back to RTSs or another tire?

Also, for those of you running this tire what are your airing your tires up to. When I left the tire center the tech told me the tires were set at 30psi, I tested them last night and noticed they were around 26. I increased them to 36psi. What pressure would get me the best gas mileage while not sacrificing a ton of ride quality? For the first 125 miles I am now only average around 11-12 miles a gallon. I know this may have been due to the low tire pressure but this drop seems ridiculous for only going up 20mm. I was getting 15-16.5 on RTSs.

For those running BFG AT KOs can you please state what mileage your getting?

I have the option to return the tires with under 1k miles for a full refund if they don't work out. Please help. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 PM

Go with whatever is listed on the side of the tire. That is what they are made for. I think 30 is way too low for an off-road type tire. In my case, it is 38. And I run nitrogen. Not sure if it does any good but it can't hurt.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 PM

I haven't checked the pressure on the All Terrains since I've got them installed but as soon as I did I had absolutely not noise what so ever coming from them. The Bridgestone Duelers that I had on the truck when I first bought it made a LOT of noise.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:30 PM

Run your 285s @ 34-36 psi this will still give you a great ride and decent mileage. Remember you will need to adjust your calculations to get the proper MPGs due to the taller tire size and less rotations per mile. You might even notice they are quieter with 34-36psi than before because your tires foot print is smaller at the higher pressure.

As far as the noise, the BFG ATs are known to be a quiet tire so, Ummm, I guess if you think BFG ATs are loud then it's a good thing you didn't get an agressive AT or any MT.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Default Reduced

Well airing them up to 36psi has reduced the road noise. Going to drive it to work all this week and see how things work out.

Please continue to post about your own experiences with the BFG KOs.

Thanks.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 PM

I have BFG AT KO 265 size. Not a bit of road noise that I notice. Zero. Not "a little that I ignore and say there is none," but none. Had them on previous vehicle wiht no noise either.
Sometimes there may just be a bad tire in the mix. When I gt the BFG's last spring, it weas after I had put Duratracs on. I had the Duratracs for a week or so and had them balanced 4 times. They would be ok for 40-50 miles and then the ride was crap. It felt like I was driving a washing machine on spin cycle. The side mirrors vibrated so bad they were not functional. Thought they were just not a good riding tire and had them swapped out for BFG's. Well after reading how many people here and a couple other sites have them and their experiences, I now suspect I had 1 or 2 Duratracs that had a manufactuering defect as no one else has complained of the same issues.

Not sure where you live but IMO the BFG's are not the greatest tire in the snow for the H3. Comparing the tread pattern to Duratracs for example, the width between the blocks are much smaller on the BFG's. That combined wiht the weight of the vehicle causes snow to pack in the treads. I have not experienced this on other vehicles with the same tires. I had hoped for a little more bite. That being said, I have never had to switch to 4 hi or lo in the snow, so they are capable.

This is just my experience with them and by no means am I stating any of it as hard facts. good luck

Also I am at 37 psi

Last edited by Widespread Hummer; 03-29-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:56 PM

Shouldn't the tire pressure be what is stated on the sticker on the door?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:10 PM

I think that applies to factory tires. When you change tires I think you should go with hat is rated for the tire you get.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:34 PM

I have 265's. I run them between 36-38 psi around town and on the highway. The techs at Discount Tire had no problem with that. 38 makes for a bit of a stiff ride, but doesn't bother me.

And for what it's worth, this will be my last set. Slick on wet pavement and really don't grip in snow from my experiences, albeit somewhat limited.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:04 PM

i have 285 ta ko's and i run them at 40PSI. the side well says max 65 but 40 seems to ride good. Mine are quiet, louder than stock but quiet.they are more aggressive and larger than your stocks so you will notice a difference.

Quick Reply: BFG All Terrain Tire Owners - Advice