PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

best suspension modification for dirt roads

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Default best suspension modification for dirt roads

I live in Costa Rica Central America and drive about 50 % on rough dirth roads, some with big pot holes even on the paved roads. I have 10,000 Miles on the H3 2006 Adventure P. and it looks like I need to replace bushings and other parts. Before I order OEM parts to replace them over and over again, can somebody recommend me a good set up, more heavy duty and longer lasting, without loosing to much comfort.
[ul][*]Other sway bar ?,[*]urethan bushings ?[*]custom ball joints ?[*]special shocks ?[*]Is there a complete kit ? [/ul]I don't want to lift or lower the truck. Driving the dirth roads and especially when going over pot holes, the H3 looses control and the back starts coming sideways. Would be nice to have that under control a bid better as well.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Default RE: best suspension modification for dirth roads

Rancho adjustable shocks maybe.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:30 PM

maybe the cognito's shocks,i hear they are great

Old 10-10-2007, 10:44 PM

Cognito/Bilstein or Fox. For what you are doing the Fox would be best. They have a remote/piggy back resivoir that keeps the oil cool, so you don't cook the seals inside the shock. They are also a little softer than the Cognito/Bilstein. They are made for desert running.

DO NOT USE RANCHO. I've cooked so many of those I could have had two sets of Fox by now.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Default RE: best suspension modification for dirt roads

ORIGINAL: Jogi

I live in Costa Rica Central America and drive about 50 % on rough dirth roads, some with big pot holes even on the paved roads. I have 10,000 Miles on the H3 2006 Adventure P. and it looks like I need to replace bushings and other parts. Before I order OEM parts to replace them over and over again, can somebody recommend me a good set up, more heavy duty and longer lasting, without loosing to much comfort. [ul][*]Other sway bar ?,[*]urethan bushings ?[*]custom ball joints ?[*]special shocks ?[*]Is there a complete kit ? [/ul]I don't want to lift or lower the truck. Driving the dirth roads and especially when going over pot holes, the H3 looses control and the back starts coming sideways. Would be nice to have that under control a bid better as well.
Make sure you are in 4hi lock on the dirt roads if you are sliding around. This will give you a 50/50 power ratio front to rear. When all 4 wheels have equal power you tend to stick better to the road.

Be careful about hitting potholes, you can break your steering. Go around them if possible.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:54 AM

Dear Hummbebe,
thanks for the advise. I will contact Fox.
Regarding the potholes, there are so many sometimes that there is hardly anything else left, so driving around them is no option. A Helicopter might be the best choice - lol-
The steering looks like a weak part based what I have read. I have this metal kling kling noice when I go over bumpy roads.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:33 AM

When you are driving fast enough on washboard to induce fishtailing, absolutely engage 4-Hi lock. This will also reduce the amount of work that the Stabilitrac system has to do.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Jogi

Dear Hummbebe,
thanks for the advise. I will contact Fox.
Regarding the potholes, there are so many sometimes that there is hardly anything else left, so driving around them is no option. A Helicopter might be the best choice - lol-
The steering looks like a weak part based what I have read. I have this metal kling kling noice when I go over bumpy roads.
that kling kling noise is probably the lower steering shaft most everyone had that problem do a search

Old 10-28-2007, 12:39 PM

Good shocks are very important to the suspension system working properly. The shock dampens the ride and keeps the suspension from "springing" too much, thus keeping the wheels on the ground instead of bouncing up and down. Yes, factory shocks are, shall we say, cheap?A good set of high end shocks that will stay cool will be the best modification you can possiblymake for the least amount of cash.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:54 PM

Rancho shocks will not hold up, especially for what you are doing

Quick Reply: best suspension modification for dirt roads