PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Best lift kit for a 2008 H2

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 09:59 PM

Here's my take on it. I'd they can't tell you about this lift and answer any questions you have- you don't want their lift anyway. Same goes for if they see going to trash talk another brand, I wouldn't buy from them if they do that. It's a small market, all of them are decent, some are better than others. I'm just not sure which ones. Fts, cognito, and a couple others would be high on my list. I am happy with my fts and the shock package it has. It rides great imo, handles great too for being 9.5' tall.

Steve

Old 11-08-2015, 10:09 PM

I like that line of thought.
What would be some good questions to ask?
How many miles do you have since the lift? Have you noticed any changes in the way it handles from the when it was first put on till now?

Old 11-09-2015, 07:48 AM

If was looking for one, my main concern would be modifications to the truck.

1. any modifications needed to make the lift fit the truck IE cutting the differential tabs or other items
2. what is the settled in total lift height? does it settle in an inch or two lower?
3. what size tires on what style rim offset do you suggest with the lift?
4. what sets your lift apart from the rest of the lifts?
5. does the stance of the vehicle change? ie wider or stay at stock width
6. material thickness and type ie stainless, carbon steel, 1/4" thick or 3/16" or something for reference
7. what is included in the lift?
8. what doesnt come with the lift?
9. Do you have upgraded shocks? what kind are they for the standard kit? (rancho or some other kind, are they extra)
10. What is the OTD price (out the door) with everything you need? that is probably one of the more important questions since that is what the ultimate decision will be based on after all the other questions are answered.

I have between 10-15,000 on it since i bought it, the previous owner probably had 3ish thousand on it before I bought it so between 15-20,000 miles.

unfortunately i bought it lifted so i cant say how it handled without the lift on stock bags. the only stock one i test drove was very heavy feeling and seemed to feel very loose. something which lead me not to buy it after i test drove it since i felt the front end was pretty wore out after reading numerous people say that for as big as a stock h2 is, they still handle well and dont feel loose.

i dont have any ill effects, though. it has been great for all the miles i have owned it, even with the boggers and such it rides smooth and handles decent. i did put a steering stabilizer in it, (another great purchase and improvement to the vehicle imo) which made it even better. i have single shocks with reservoirs and coils in back, with dual fronts with remote ressies in the front. they are the upgraded set that FTS offers (or at least did offer).

my boggers are almost wore out from driving roads, after they are toasted completely, i will get a better m/t road rated tire for it. might not look quite as tough but at least it will be better to drive. i may even put some more miles on it if it has better tires on it for winter driving.

steve

Old 11-10-2015, 10:15 AM

i'd love to lift my '09. I think bulletproof for me, purely because i could return it to stock.
I'd do it if i didn't think my 35" tyres wouldn't look ridiculous afterwards, and i don't want to go to 37's yet without regearing/remapping, and i don't want to remap until i get the headers and exhaust!

Old 11-10-2015, 10:16 AM

whoa, thats a lot of if then statements LOL

steve

Old 11-10-2015, 10:44 AM

I'm based in Moscow Russia, so even getting US parts for these bad boys is a challenge. You've no idea how badly i want a gobi stealth too!

Old 11-10-2015, 11:11 AM

LOL me too but heck with that price. the cheapo ebay one looks cool enough for me. it is so high up that its hard to put anything up there anyway. i think hte only thing i have put up there has been wood bundles so i dont get the wood all over inside.

steve

Attached Thumbnails Best lift kit for a 2008 H2-931190_373721419400560_1685918567_n.jpg  
Old 11-12-2015, 07:37 AM

I love the look of your rig on those tyres. I'd definitely like to get set up. Thing is though I live in the middle of the city centre - equivalent of manhattan, it's bad enough trying to navigate round here in it, with that lift and tyres, i think it would be even harder. Having said that, I'm always keeping my eye out on parts... ! (group bulletproof/gobi buy anyone ? )

Old 11-12-2015, 08:26 AM

the tires rub really bad haha, it needs, imo, a 12" to really utilize the 44" size tire to the full extent during a flex. i can only flex a few inches now before it hits so it isnt real conducive to wheeling.

my next set will be in the 40" range and be a little better for roads. the1.5" lug on those boggers when new were killer. they are still about a 1/2" of lug in front and 3/4" in the rear. it howls like an air plane and (until the tires warm up) rides like a wagon of the old west. haha the bias ply really flat spots with 8k# on them. (who would have thought haha)

nitto makes a nice looking tire for these imo, and they make some nice sizes that we can utilize when lifting. the other main thing to be concerned with, the offset of a wheel if you dont keep the stockers. have to keep it kinda tight, in the states there are usually laws stating that a rubber cant be 2" or more out past the truck edge. be it a flare or something else but 2" is max. some states have laws for 8k# and lower, as wi is from the last time i looked. 9" total lift is also a state law for wi along with light height.

be sure to check the laws when lifting just in case!

steve