PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Best H3 alternative

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 06:31 AM

Ford Raptor although they are way over priced and much more expensive than a used H3.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:43 AM

My biggest problem with that Dragon thing, it's not a Rubicon. I'm not sure how I feel about the dragon decals on the exterior, but the rest of it looks fantastic. However, just like I'd personally never buy an H3 without the Adventure package, I will never buy (another) Wrangler that's not a Rubicon. Either way, it sure is a nice step up from any Wrangler I've ever owned.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

The 1972 Olds Banshee, and a ride in it with James Garner.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:25 PM

I've seen a number of ridiculous cars converted to 4x4s over the years, typically just slap a car body on a lifted 4x4 truck, but I kinda like the looks of that one. I really wish manufacturers would come out with real offroad capable cars or crossovers. Something like the possible (wishful thinking) GMC revival of the H4. Ya, I know it's supposed to be small SUV, but to me it's more rugged crossover style. Of course, if they really do make it to production, who knows what it will really look like.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
...I really wish manufacturers would come out with real offroad capable cars or crossovers. ...

Isuzu tried - Isuzu VehiCROSS. price, modifications, pictures. MoiBibiki

Old 04-28-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bunger
Yep, now that I see your link I remember those. They were kinda neat. Too bad production numbers were so small, and they were made by Isuzu. Had they been made by Toyota, GM, Ford, Nissan or some other more respected brand they may have done well and started a trend. If I remember correct, they had small-ish tires and limited off-road capability. Not to offend anyone, but they kinda had a girly styling as well. However, I'd happily wheel something like that with 33" tires and a bit of lift.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:48 PM

I am going the route in this fashion:

Just got my first Hummer product, a 2006 Base H3 with Chrome pakage with 145K miles.

Next spring, sell it and move to a lower miles 2007-2008 H3 Alpha/Adventure/Luxury.

Following spring, try to repeat the sell/buy thing but find a lower mile 2009-2010 H3 Alpha/Adventure/Luxury.

Any of them can be a fly and buy from a non rust-belt region. Up here in Pittsburgh, everything rusts :-(

I don't see many small enough vehicles with the military look and off road systems other than a Rubicon/FJ that could even be considered. An H2/H1 is just to large for crawling out into the woods around here. Heck, a Yamaha has to rub trees in my area.

The Jeep Rubicon would be a viable option if it wasn;t related to Chrysler. I bought one (2005 Ram 2500 Cummins) and I'll NEVER make that mistake again! Loved the crew cab and 8' bed combo, hated the 7 failed transmissions and 2 failed Cummins engines in 80K miles. Been there, done that, not going back for seconds!

I really like this H3 thing. I think I'll stay here a while.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:37 PM

Honestly, if nothing better comes along by the time I'm ready to sell the H2 I see my two options as 1) go back to my original plan of an H3 Alpha w/offroad package and start that search again, or 2) a Tahoe for camping/towing duty plus a UTV (side by side) for a very different wheeling, trail riding, desert blasting experience.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:43 PM

Yep, now that I see your link I remember those. They were kinda neat. Too bad production numbers were so small, and they were made by Isuzu. Had they been made by Toyota, GM, Ford, Nissan or some other more respected brand they may have done well and started a trend. If I remember correct, they had small-ish tires and limited off-road capability. Not to offend anyone, but they kinda had a girly styling as well. However, I'd happily wheel something like that with 33" tires and a bit of lift.
Actually they came with 32s or 33s, but the draw back was the 18s for wheels. they were actually really capable for a stock vehicle. they were not as capable as the H3, and they had less interior space. I think the style and the fact that they were a two door killed them. My parents had one, and if I remember right they also came with a rear locker or limited slip.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:20 AM

They actually have a pretty great group of wheelers who have HEAVILY modified some of them. Do an online search for "lifted isuzu vehicross".

Quick Reply: Best H3 alternative