PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Bent Protective Cage Behind Skidplate

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Default Bent Protective Cage Behind Skidplate

At Rausch Creek this weekend I somehow bent the protective cage behind the skid plate. I had to remove it because it was bent so bad it was vibrating against the exhaust pipe. does anyone know what this part is actually called and where i may be able to get one?

Old 04-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Bent Protective Cage Behind Skidplate

Hummer replaces most breakage under warranty. I would run it by the dealer and see if they will do it for free.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

and if they won't.... we can bend it back.... just bring it down this weekend...

Old 04-07-2008, 09:19 AM

it's easy to straighten if you have it off and have a hard packed or concrete driveway.

step 1. lay it sideways in front of your front tire with some 1/4" pieces of plywood under each end where it touches the ground, centered on the front tire.

step 2. drive forward.

step 3. drive backwards.

step 4. pick up cage and put it back on the truck.

this will also bend it down slightly, without misaligning the mounting holes, to keep it a bit further away from the exhaust. i've done this quite a few times, but i also added some 1/8" nylon spacers between the cage and frame on the 3 rear mouting holes.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

you would have been bending yours back again if you could see where we took Steve's 2 week old Deuce this weekend...

Old 04-07-2008, 09:33 AM

maybe - maybe not. i've got an extra inch, ahem, of clearance . . . . . and i'm getting used to bending it back anyways. he might want to check the small curved plate under the transfer case too, that gets bent upward and rattles against the transfer case - although after seeing the pics you posted it's probably full of mud and won't vibrate anyway . . . . .

Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

we only took pictures of the easy stuff we did.... the rest of the time the old lady had her eyes shut holding on.... I am sure Steve's friend has a few of me doing some uncomfortable crap...

Old 04-07-2008, 09:50 AM

so i take it you pulled up a shark fin in the seat then once or twice? my wife won't even go with me any more. and when she did she always got out on anything that looked even slightly tricky. she went along on one run in Moab and must have gotten out about 30 - 40 times. and that was on an intermediate trail . . . . []

Old 04-07-2008, 10:09 AM

There where some puckering moments on the trail. It's covered under warranty, tried to tell him that on the trail.
He just doesn't want to believe that these vehicles are made to do this kind of stuff all the time and that your coverred.
His truck looked like it just drove off the showroom floor, it won't look like that come this weekend, he plans on going thru some mud holes.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

The trees were just too close... if you only have one line and that one line is no more than 1 inch wider than your truck... then you are NOT on a beginner green trail... especially when you are on a muddy 20-30 degree sideslope with rocks 2-3 foot wide and 1-3 foot high.

which is why Lynn said I can't go to the academy now... like I said in the other thread...

Quick Reply: Bent Protective Cage Behind Skidplate