PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Battery issues!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 09:23 AM

Just purchased an 06 H3 & have also had battery issues. It has the 6 disc monsoon system. Went out & pulled #38 fuse (amp) & noticed a spark. The ignition was off & key was in my pocket. Every time I pulled & replaced the fuse it sparked, this tells me that the amp is hot & the source of my problem. Since the CD player does'nt work anyway I'll just junk the radio & install an aftermarket one, and hopefully solve my problem.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:19 PM

Yes, that circuit is hot at all times; a direct feed from the battery. Not saying the circuit is not bad, but more of check is needed other than to say there is a spark at the fuse. Can't say what the milliamp draw would be, but it should be very small.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Default Get Rid of Those Stock Battery Clamps!

I have two H3's ('06 and '07) and both suffered really wierd electrical problems such as premature battery failure, satellite radio and GPS scrambled memory, and the worst one a "BDM" module failure issue which put me down for 4 days ... even the dealer couldn't start that truck! OK it's a battery problem right? Well I looked REAL CLOSE at those cheap stock battery clamps and found very slight cracks in them ON BOTH TRUCKS! Immediately changed them over to standard BOLT TIGHTENING BATTERY CLAMPS and guess what? No more problems, nada, zip, all electrical issues disappeared! Most agree that Optima Redtop batteries are superior (and I have put them in both my H3's ... best price was actually Amazon.com) but don't overlook those clamps!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:12 AM

I'll just copy this on over from another post I made yesterday.....

The first thing I did on my 08 Alpha was replace the stock battery terminals, they're total junk. Checking voltage around the truck in different places it definitely improved.

If you have a handful of 4ga and 8ga ring terminals, heat shrink, some wire cutters, a crimp tool, and a sharp pocket knife it will take you about an hour to do if you have a beer or two in the process.

Going off of memory, on a stock truck you should have two ground wires, and three hot wires to re-terminal. The wire sleeve is tough as nails, and the copper inside is really thick strands so its kind of a pain to work with.

On the ground side you should need a 4ga and an 8ga terminal, on the positive side you should have three wires, but I used two terminals. One wire fits perfect into a 4ga terminal, and the other two can be crammed into a single 4ga terminal and crimped down. Everything has stayed super snug since then, and I get better power flow throughout the truck. I like doing things the best way possible so after crimping I added liberal amounts of solder to the crimp sites with my blow torch.

I got my terminals from KnuKonceptz.com