PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Battery issues!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:07 PM

Thanks Fubar, I did push the appointment out a ways into the new year.

Sorry you are having problems w/your Hummer, I don't like to hear that.
I really think you should have some warranty from the dealer you bought it. Most have at least a 90 day warranty.

DrTom, do you have OnStar? They will unlock your doors for you.
I don't have OnStar any more, I never really needed it, but think it is cool to have.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by FUBAR
They tested the battery (which is new) and have concluded that the "radio's" (6 disc changer) amp is not shuting off when the truck is turned off thus draining the battery.
Do you believe them? I think fuse #38 is the amp. Have you tried pulling the fuse for awhile to see if their diagnosis is accurate?

Old 12-19-2009, 03:18 PM

yeah im not sure if i believe them or not? I mean i figure if the radio was defective why does it work perfectly fine? I don't know? I will try to pull the fuse and see if that will work. I suppose if i pull it and the battery doesn't die then that's the source.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Banned
Default pull fuses?

you can pull them one at a time and monitor current with the batt cable unhooked and know in a minute what is causing it!!

i did this on a probe where i "self inflicted" the problem disabling the brake/shift interlock. the little motor that needed unhooked drew 300 ma, like a third of an amp.

a digital meter with a 10-20 amp and then lower ranges will show just whats "cooking "the batt.

theres a lot of fuses!!!

tom

b tw i dont have onstar, just xtra keys!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:25 AM

Had the same issues with my 08 Alpha from day one. Wouldn't start due to dead battery every 2 or 3 days with no consistancy. Had it to 4 different dealers, they replaced battery , checked for parasidic drains, replaced mega fuse, performed all other tsb's they could find to the point where the vehicle was legally a lemon in my state. I had a file set up with hummer directly through all of this which I highly recomend as the dealers don't really want to give you the time of day because after you jump it there is no sign of a problem. Finally the hummer engineers told the last dealer to replace the "digital radio reciever" which is located behind the dash under the radio. I have not had a problem for the last six months since completed. Good Luck!

Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 AM

well good news... after bitching to the Hummer dealership about how I just bought an H3 with a defective radio that is causing me to jump it every other day they have decided to take it in Thursday to replace the radio and fix the problem!!! Just in time for x mas!!

Old 01-03-2010, 04:21 PM

mine is going dead also after a couple months, I will check the amp this week.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:15 PM

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

I've been fighting a battery problem since my first 05 H3. I sold it and bought an 08 H3 Alpha and I've been fighting with battery issues from day 1 on it as well.

I have the same if the car sits for 3 or 4 days the battery is completely dead. Being that I an a consultant and fly just about every week I get the joy of coming back to the airport to a dead battery weekly.

I've tried a battery brain, but the issue there is once you flip the switch, the factory anti-theft system kicks in and you get to wait in the Texas heat for 10 minutes until the factory device kicks in.

I even bought one of those solar chargers so it would trickle charge during the day, but being in a covered parking lot doesnt help much in that area, though it does actualy provide a charge from the lights in the parking garage. Had to use a meter on it out of plain curiosity.

I had the factory stereo replaced and an alarm added the day after I bought it so I could never be sure it wasn't an issue with the aftermarket alarm. Even had the alarm dealership put a new alarm unit in and still had the issue. I added the Viper Smart Start system which works great as long as I remember to start the thing on Tuesday and Wednesday to make sure it starts when i return on Thursday.

Those battery jump packs are worth it 100 times over. Well, as long as you remember to charge it when you get home. The added bonus is when someone asks you for a jump and you bring out this little box and give them a jump you look like you are prepared for anything.

Hopefully after printing this thread and bringing it back to the dealer they will take a look at the ignition switch and the digital radio reciever to see if that's where my issue is.

Every other time I brought it to the dealer I was told that's just normal that with the newer cars you have to run them every few days. If I left it for a month at a time I could understand, but not after 4 or 5 days.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:18 PM

I put in a red top optima battery last winter, haven't had a problem in over a year, in fact this past hunting trip in November, I was running the stereo (monsoon) for hours, and it would barely pull it down to 11 volts. I have a scan guage II installed to monitor my vitals. My other battery (OEM) would draw down in no time.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:54 AM

It the battery gets too discharged it will be sulfated and this will greatly shorten its service life. It sounds like that is what has happened, maybe more than once.
I have a 06 with the original battery and if not driving it for more than 2 weeks i disconnect the battery.
Since i go way off road i do carry an extra Optima Red Top with me.

Quick Reply: Battery issues!! Help!