PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Base Model Radio Tweeter Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Default Base Model Radio Tweeter Wiring

I'm getting ready to install aftermarket component speakers in the front of the H3. I have the base radio model. I wanted to use the stock wiring harness for both the tweeters and mid-base driver. According to the wiring diagrams the tweeters are wired in series with the mid-base driver. I thought this would work perfect b/c I could simply cut the line going to the tweeter and wire that into the crossover but if you pull the mid-base speaker out you see no wires leading to the tweeter. I know the radio only has a single wire so it must split somewhere between the radio and mid-driver. Does anyone know where it splits?

Also, is there a stock crossover of some sort built into the tweeter line and mid-driver line? It doesn't look like it on the wiring diagram but the tweeters sound like they just output the high frequencies and the mid-base driver seems to just output the mid and lows. I have an aftermarket head unit so I know it isn't the radio that is doing the eq'ing and there is only one output from the radio. How would they do this w/out a crossover?

Old 02-01-2012, 10:15 PM

See your post on CHO! I left you an answer there.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:49 AM

Thanks a bunch for responding. Just in case anyone else is wondering there is a small capacitor soldered onto the tweeter itself that acts as a crossover. Now all I need to figure out is where the wires split. If it's at a spot I can't get to I'll just have to run my own wires from the crossover to the tweeter. If anyone has had experience with running wires from the mid-base driver to the tweeter I would love to hear how the did it and any gotchas.