PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

bad steering.. need some info..plz

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Lightbulb bad steering.. need some info..plz

Hey guys, I have a steering problem and need help diagnosing it.
It seemed fine the other day and then, on my way home it kinda felt like when i turned to the left the left tire turned normal and seemed like the right tire didn't want to and was sorta delayed or had some play or something.
That said. I haven't jacked it up yet and only grabbed the tire and shook it and it almost looked like there was play in the control arm bashing on top but I am no expert.
Prior to this it seemed to want to pull or dive down a little more causing pull to the side a bit when braking.
I want to check anything and everything it could be but don't know how to diagnose bad tie rod or strut,sway bars or anything like that so any help would be good. My mechanic skills are ok bit lacking some knowledge and i know there is alot on here.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:08 PM

If you pull the front skid and your pass side bushing looks like this, mystery solved.
Name:  7424-1.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  109.3 KB
video

Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 AM

Hello, and thanks for the info. I am gonna check when i get home today, but this thing has brought keep nothing but trouble so face. I get one thing done then there is a new. I wondered about control arm bushongs as well because there is a slight clunking or bumping noise in the front right as well. And a small amount of vibration. Hard for me to trouble shoot it.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 AM

Depending on mileage and your amount of rough offroading it can be a combination of both. That is just my opinion and experience with this on two different H3's.
This is my play in the upper a-arm bushings with only 10,000 miles. So I don't know how much movement is acceptable.
This was shot with the wheel off the ground. That is also with the steering rack bushing destroyed.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:17 AM

I think that is part of my trouble. I think i have too much there to be just one. I already have done a Crap load of stuff to it. But i think i still need new exhaust baskets and tie rods and shocks and fix the rack. I already did the tires,brakes,evap vent selinoid, lower ball joints, tires,all new brakes, new windshield,filters and plugs and a couple others... Ahhhh... It is a pain cuz i have only had it a few months.
Thank you guys for all the info thought. This place is awesome for finding out on my own. And for all the do it yourselfers...

Old 12-07-2012, 06:35 PM

I just read this again... And man my typo skills are awesome!!