PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Default RE: Backup Camera

Thanks for the extra info I never thought about the interference issue, I'll give the dealer a call to see what they will charge to install a hard wired unit.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:45 AM

ORIGINAL: finskeeper

Guys (and gals),

In my opinion, I do not believe that you will be happy with a wireless camera unless you spend some decent money for a quality transmitter/receiver combo. I purchased the$90.00 wireless cam from Walmart and promptly returned it becausethe reciever/monitor had too much intermittent interference.In addition, it could cause issues with cell phone usage and/or vice versa. The wireless cameras are only missing 1 wire (from the camera to the monitor).The camera and the monitorstill have to be wired into the vehicle's electrical system for power. Why not simply run 1 more wire under the carpet or door jams.Sorry for the intrusion, but Ifelt I needed togive my 2 cents, as for several years we have been manufacturing wireless video surveillance systems for law enforcement agencies. Wireless cams can be a real pain in the a$$ (especially cheap ones). Go hardwired.
So how about an equipment recommendation?

Old 06-21-2007, 07:32 AM

ORIGINAL: D VADER

Here's a good start. Click on SecurView. They have a good choice of both cameras and monitors. Some of their systems are on eBay.Also, most built-innav and dvdunits have aux video inputs and can be paired with virtually any cam.

http://www.crimestopper.com/

Old 06-21-2007, 10:30 AM

Here's a good start. Click on SecurView. They have a good choice of both cameras and monitors. Some of their systems are on eBay.Also, most built-innav and dvdunits have aux video inputs and can be paired with virtually any cam.

Thanks for the link but those are license plate mounts. I want something that can be mounted higher so I can see more than the car behind me.
Any ideas guys??

Old 06-21-2007, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the link but those are license plate mounts. I want something that can be mounted higher so I can see more than the car behind me.
Any ideas guys??
Did you click on SecurView? Not sure what you are looking at, but most of those cameras areNOT license plate mounts. They have mount-anywhere cams, flush mount bumper cams, etc.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the link I found the secure cam that can be mounted up in the spare tire on back.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:02 AM

I purchased the backup camera kit from Target, it was under $100.00 total. There were two boxes on the shelf, the first one had two buttons, power and image flip/rotation. The one behind it had four buttons, power, image flip, brightness and contrast.

I chose to install my monitor on my visor. The power cable for the monitor has a cigarette lighter connector on it and it wasn't long enough for me to route it from the power port on the console so I bought a cheap 4' extension kit and ran the wire under the floor mat by the front of the drivers seat and then up to the pillar where I was able to tuck the wire under the rubber seal to hide the wire up the pillar, I have exposed wire from the pillar to the the visor, no big deal... works great and doesn't look too sloppy.

I mounted the camera on the license plate and wired it into the towing package harness. There are two green wires in the towing harness, a light green and a dark green. The backup lights are the dark green on mine and the trailer plug cover shows the wiring diagram and clearly shows the center wire as the one that controls the backup lights. I spliced it in there and also on the ground wire then wrapped it all back up nice and tight.

I wasn't expecting a whole lot from the system, after all, it's under $100.00 for the kit but I have to tell you that it's pretty damn good.
The camera does a very nice job, it's wide angle and I shimmed the outside bolt so the camera would be tilted towards the center of the truck and I have a very good view through the monitor. I like the fact that the camera has no power expect when it's in reverse. The monitor has power all the time when it's plugged in but it has an on/off button that's handy enough.

I've been on the road with it and have been to the local malls and other stores and have yet to have any interference. I may get a little noise now and again but it doesn't happen often and only effects the image for a blink of an eye. The color is quite good on the monitor, I turned down the brightness a little and it looks better than it at first.

I just use it to make sure nothing is behind me before I start backing out, it's difficult to judge distance with the monitor as it's a wide angle and quite deceiving. However, I didn't buy it to replace my mirrors. It works perfect for what I need and installation was easy, maybe an hour total time installing it.

I don't like the little stand that comes with the unit, I've got mine on the visor and I simply flip the visor down and turn the monitor on to do a quick check before backing up, what could be sweeter!