PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Back-Up Camera Wired Into Factory Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:51 AM

Looks like an NTSC to RGB sync converter. That piece just takes the video in and converts it to an RGB signal knowing what all else it is hooked up to could probably deduce it's function. Is there not at least once RCA input connected during use or is that exactly how it is hooked up in the system? I can't imagine how removing the VGA cable would totally blank the NAV screen there isn't an input connected to drive the screen there.

http://www.converters.tv/manuals/dua...er_422_144.pdf

Ok there is more to this setup than it looks, that is not a vga connector it just uses the same housing the wiring inside is different and here is the manual.

Last edited by Pauldy; 07-02-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Pauldy....everything is crystal clear now, and it turned out to be pretty close to what I thought. I, too, was kind of curious as to why unplugging that main connectore would kill the NAV display. Turns out the NAV signal is just "passing through" the converter. The file you linked to explains it perfectly, THANKS!!! Armed with that bit of knowledge...all I have to do is find a camera I like and get to pulling wire.

Thanks very much!!

Old 07-02-2010, 02:31 PM

I'm curious how it interfaces to the nav screen. Looks pretty exciting if it truly is RGBs/RGsB it kind of opens up possibilities for a mod I would love to do but I don't want to deal with the hassle and expense of replacing all that hardware.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:19 PM

I'm thinking that the video for the NAV is just routed/passed through the converter (blue box)....so unplugging the big connector simply cuts the signal (any signal) to the screen. Plugged in as it is right now, steady-state operations just has the video signal coming from the Nav unit, through the converter then to the Nav screen.

Now....add a video in to #2 from a back up camera and put 12VDC on the blue lead...the video signal form the camera is what gets sent to the Nav screen. Take away the 12VDC from the blue lead and the video signal reverts back to the Nav signal.

Makes perfect sense...its just a video switcher. I'm pretty excited now. Not only can it switch the video signal with 12VDC to the blue lead (automatically when put in reverse), but you could plug in any other device, like a PSP, etc...and then use the other switching lead, wired to 12VDC through a switch, and you can manually change the display on the Nav screen.

What I can't tell you is....that main connector? Where does it go, back up behind the dash. I'll try to have a look tomorrow if I have time, but from what I remember I don't recall being able to see where it goes...but I'll look.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the pictures, SCVipermad. So is this a picture of an H2 or H3?
That looks like the camera backup and probably operates just as you described. But is it a H2 or H3? I want to hook up a camera to my H3 and use the Nav screen.
Thanks,
Craig