PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Back-Up Camera Wired Into Factory Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Default Back-Up Camera Wired Into Factory Navigation

Recently bought a preowned H2 that has been vandalized. We are in the process of replacing the navigation and rearview mirror. Does anyone know if the backup camera can be wired into the factory navigation so that you can get a bigger picture? Several after market nav. units offered this option. I'm trying to avoid having to replace the navigation and purchase the higher priced rearview mirror with the backup camera display. Also the display screen on the factory rearview mirror seems small. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:15 AM

I have a 05 h2 and the back up camera is wired in to the factory head unit. we have an 06 escalade that has the same deck with navigation and the back up camera works on it

Old 04-26-2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by CRIMSON
Recently bought a preowned H2 that has been vandalized. We are in the process of replacing the navigation and rearview mirror. Does anyone know if the backup camera can be wired into the factory navigation so that you can get a bigger picture? Several after market nav. units offered this option. I'm trying to avoid having to replace the navigation and purchase the higher priced rearview mirror with the backup camera display. Also the display screen on the factory rearview mirror seems small. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I have mine wired into my factory NAV, I have a 2005. I bought a NAVTV unit that helps you wire it in as well you can hook up a second video INput and hook up the DVd player that the kids are watching in the back seats.

Attached Thumbnails Back-Up Camera Wired Into Factory Navigation-dscn4356.jpg  
Old 06-24-2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by dwaxman1
I have mine wired into my factory NAV, I have a 2005. I bought a NAVTV unit that helps you wire it in as well you can hook up a second video INput and hook up the DVd player that the kids are watching in the back seats.

what brand and what model is ur backup cam, and what model of NAVTV do u have ... i am planning to install them

Old 08-24-2009, 03:46 AM

Old 08-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Question 2007 H3 with Navigation...

...is it possible to wire a backup camera to this vehicle's nav screen?
I would love a backup camera but if I can wire it into the existing nav screen that would be great!
Are there cameras out there made for this kind of a setup.
I just recently bought my H3 and I love it, but I am worried any time I have to back out of the drive.
Anyone done this mod?
TIA,
Craig

Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 AM

My H2 rear camera is wired to the nav screen. The camera is in the tag bracket in the center of the spare so the field of view is great. Not good for trailer hook up though. It can be done by any reputable auto a/v store or with a good working knowledge of the setup. Really is a lot better than some I've seen.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:22 PM

Where can you check it out, if you want to get one?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:05 AM

Just FYI cause I looked into this a few weeks ago myself it works like this; they have an NTSC to LCD adapter that goes between the output of your NAV unit and the screen. They then have cabling that will signal the device to switch inputs. The most common setup I saw was a dual input the the backup cam wired to the brake lights and a switch for the second av input wired to the accessory switch. If you have a rear tire holder like I do there is no perfect place to put a camera, if you don't have the rear tire the options appeared to be the middle light at the top or a license plate cam. Definitely looks like a worthy mod.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:27 AM

Here are pics of what I found behind my glove-box. I am tempted to say that this is part of some sort of backup camera system, but I can't be certain. The only thing connected id the VGA connector...and if I disconnect that the NAV screen goes dark. I'm a pretty handy kinda guy...I'm just hoping I can get an idea as to the inouts and outputs...then I can do the rest. Anyone seen anything like this before???

It almost looks like in this picture (2nd pic) that there are two video inputs for a camera, and that the "power" leads are power OUT to said camera...and the "relay" lead might be the swith-leg (linked to reverse lights, etc.)

Quick Reply: Back-Up Camera Wired Into Factory Navigation