PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Back up Camera... Wheres yours?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Default RE: Back up Camera... Wheres yours?

ORIGINAL: HumV

Not Bad CCMDoc
Looks Good how did you wire it in the car?
Picked up the hot lead from the right reverse-wire in the taillight assembly so that the camera is powered when I put it in reverse. The coax cable runs from under the passenger-side footwell carpet to the cargo area then out through one of the holes beneath the cargo door sill (just pull it up and you will see what I mean).
The PAC adapter switches the nav unit to rear-view no matter if the Nav unit is on or off or what might be playing on the unit otherwise. I am thinking of using the other feed for the adapter and Y-ing it to the coax and then running a separate hot lead so that when I flip the switch on the adapter, I can see behind me whatever the position of the gear selector. Just trying to find out the MTBF for the camera I have if it is always powered up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1471/B6212BA340024C9E9548550D78507F0A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-19-2007, 07:24 AM

I have my camera bolted to my license plate too. I've got it wired into my towing package harness so the camera is only on when the truck is in reverse. The LCD display is mounted on my driver side visor. I ran the power cord over to the left front pillar, there's a rubber seal that is easy to slide the wire under and down to the dash area, from there the wire goes down under my floor mats and plugged into to one of the power adapters on the console. It looks good and was easy to install. I did have to buy a male/female 3' extension cable for the LCD power cable.

When I want to use the camera, I fold down the visor and hit the power button and if it's already in reverse I get an instant picture. If it's in park or drive it displays noise until you hit reverse. II got my camera kit at Target, it was $98.00, it has 4 buttons on it, some of the cameras only have two buttons. They had the same part number and same price. The four button one gives you control over contrast and brightness as well as image mirroring/rotating and power like the two button has.

I get really good video from the wireless camera, color is decent, picture detail is good. It's a wide angle lens so even though it's on the left side of the truck it's got plenty of look angle. I did shim the outside to angle it slightly towards the middle of the vehicle.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:27 AM

Here is mine

[IMG]local://upfiles/2110/650328F6956C41D087516E1184CBA89A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2110/099B44160C83420E9954B0E44F0E0164.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2110/9D4D577DF2AF4FA9A7C3A53354CAFC39.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-20-2007, 07:14 PM

Hitch mount, next to receiver. Works good for me there. It is hooked up to clarion dvd/nav head unit, comes on when I put the H3 in reverese or when I flip a toggle that came with it (for running it anytime).

[IMG]local://upfiles/2315/BEC512BA30384B2BA9101628DCECA52E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-21-2007, 03:16 AM

ORIGINAL: whatever

Hitch mount, next to receiver. Works good for me there. It is hooked up to clarion dvd/nav head unit, comes on when I put the H3 in reverese or when I flip a toggle that came with it (for running it anytime).

[IMG]local://upfiles/2315/BEC512BA30384B2BA9101628DCECA52E.jpg[/IMG]
SWEEET Exhaust!!!Name:  thumbsup.gif
Views: 38
Size:  3.2 KB

Old 09-21-2007, 09:23 AM

IMO the license plate and hitch are to low and also exposed the the worse elements. My plan is to mount mine hiher so I can see more traffic. The lower position all you see is the immediate car behind you or obstacle. I feel a need to see more than that. I want to be able to have mine on all the time since are rear view is so poor. The top of the H3X fiberglass spare tire tub is perfect for a camera install. I'm not sure how I will get my power yet but that's my plan

Old 09-21-2007, 06:19 PM

ORIGINAL: D VADER

IMO the license plate and hitch are to low and also exposed the the worse elements. My plan is to mount mine hiher so I can see more traffic. The lower position all you see is the immediate car behind you or obstacle. I feel a need to see more than that. I want to be able to have mine on all the time since are rear view is so poor. The top of the H3X fiberglass spare tire tub is perfect for a camera install. I'm not sure how I will get my power yet but that's my plan
You made some very good points there.
Most of the cameras are pretty well sealed though, and it doesn't seem to take much abuse where the license plate is. By the hitch kinda scares me that i'll smash it hooking up a trailer. But it is more ideal being centered there.

Having it mounted low does give you a very odd perspective, and stuff seems further away then it really is. The main problem i see with having it up high, is it is more visible to vandals.

As far as power, mine is hooked up to my license plate light, so anytime I want it on, all i have to do is flip the lights on.

The receiver on mine is wireless and i have to unplug it when i get out or it interferes with the keyless remote. I need to just hook it to a 12volt on with ignition wire i guess.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:30 PM

mine's on the back of my truck . . . . . .

Old 09-21-2007, 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

Name:  giggle.gif
Views: 43
Size:  1.8 KB

Old 09-24-2007, 06:13 AM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

Glad to see you got it right.

Quick Reply: Back up Camera... Wheres yours?