PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Back up camera and rear veiw mirror question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:10 AM
Default Back up camera and rear veiw mirror question

I was wondering if /i went to a bone yard and found the rear veiw mirror with the slide out monitor for rear video display and if I also was lucky enough to find the camera that mounts in the bumper is all the wiring already there, ran and hooked up to where it needs to be hooked up (the reverse wire, power for the monitor, camera etc.. and a wire ran down to the mirror.

Again I was just curious cause usually car companies wire their vehicles for all power options just don't add the options but all the hook ups are already done cause it would be great if I could find a rear camera and another mirror with the slide out monitor and all I would have to do is disconnect the onstar mirror thats in there and plug in the onstar mirror with the monitor and then go to the rear and the wire is there waiting for me to plug in the camera (minus the pain of cutting a hole in the bumper).

Thanks for the insight and hopefully the good news because that would make my day and I would start the hunt asap, actually I know where to find the camera just have to find the mirror.

Sorry if I rambled a bit with a touch of run on sentences but I really wanted to ask before I forgot and I haven't slept in 3 days cause I'm taking chemo and my bones feel like there on fire and I'm sick as hell so what better way to feel better and to get myself feeling better than to ask questions about my Hummer lol.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 03-15-2010, 01:56 AM

Can't help on the camera (I'd love one too) but best wishes with the chemo - the missus and my dad have both been through it - there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:11 AM

I am 95% sure you need to have had the trailer package inorder for the wiring to be in place for you to just buy the components and be able to hook everything up. Your right that usually car companies prewire most options at the factory to save some money and time on labor in the dealership garage's. In this case though the standard mirror to go on gm automobiles and the hummer is the mirror with onstar intergrated. I had a new stereo put in my truck so I bought a back up camera and had it all installed. It really is a great thing to have especially if little kids are around or when your out shopping and trying to get out of those packed malls and shopping centers. Best of luck hope you find a solution to your back up camera wants haha and hope your treatment is working out my dad just finished up his so I feel for ya.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:31 AM

Thanks Tony for the kind well wishes, I wouldn't wish this crap on my worst enemy, well maybe my ex-wife lol and then maybe even worse but not for long just for a day or two just for pay back.

I got the H3 Aloha edition that came prewired for the towing package and also has the tow hook or bar or whatever it's called but as crazy as it sounds may it be slip of mind or so on I have yet to just bend down to look if the wire is there but from what your saying (and my fingers are crossed) the wires just might be there.

Like you said the camera should just be a simple swap out then as well but I'm also wondering if the plug will be the same or if it's different but I guess this is all a bunch of what if's until I get my *** to the junk yard and find the parts right lol.

I'll keep you all informed cause if all you have to do is "plug and play" that would be a great upgrade and also and easy one the only part I don't look forward to is cutting a hole in the bumper to put the camera in, dremels and I don't mix so well I kinda go alittle over the edge when I get one in my hand, case in point I hand a '99 Hyundai Tiburon and wanted side euro blinker so out came the die grinder (just a dremel on steroids) needles to say when I got done I could have put a stop light in the hole I made and had to get a new quarter panel lol but I had a good time doing it if that counts lol.

Again thanks T I plan on hitting the bone yard this week and I'll post what I find cause I'm assuming (and hoping) a Hummer is not a big sought after junk yard vehicle since in '08 only 367 total Hummers were sold nation wide kinda scares me that there are 11 of them in the junk yard 30 miles from my house lol.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bdawk20x
I was wondering if /i went to a bone yard and found the rear veiw mirror with the slide out monitor for rear video display and if I also was lucky enough to find the camera that mounts in the bumper is all the wiring already there, ran and hooked up to where it needs to be hooked up (the reverse wire, power for the monitor, camera etc.. and a wire ran down to the mirror.

Again I was just curious cause usually car companies wire their vehicles for all power options just don't add the options but all the hook ups are already done cause it would be great if I could find a rear camera and another mirror with the slide out monitor and all I would have to do is disconnect the onstar mirror thats in there and plug in the onstar mirror with the monitor and then go to the rear and the wire is there waiting for me to plug in the camera (minus the pain of cutting a hole in the bumper).

Thanks for the insight and hopefully the good news because that would make my day and I would start the hunt asap, actually I know where to find the camera just have to find the mirror.

Sorry if I rambled a bit with a touch of run on sentences but I really wanted to ask before I forgot and I haven't slept in 3 days cause I'm taking chemo and my bones feel like there on fire and I'm sick as hell so what better way to feel better and to get myself feeling better than to ask questions about my Hummer lol.

Thanks in advance for the help!
I purchased one on ebay for around $150.00 (I think). It came with a wiring harness that ran up to the mirror. hope this helps.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:30 PM

the backup camera/mirror sounded like a ridiculous idea to me at first. had mine now for about 4-5 months and love it. the kit was $400 and i got it installed for an additional $75.00. the quality is really sharp, etc. i don't think u can hook these up to another screen (well, the setup i purchased anyway). trying to see if there is a way around that... not sure where else i would put a screen tho?? something i always think about tho.. maybe in the future.

heres the camera and mirror i purchased: http://www.shopsar.com/backup-camera...-p/2508081.htm