PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

back doors chip

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Default back doors chip

I was noticing that on back doors where it flares out a number of chips. I am assuming its because I have no mud flaps and the 33" tires that stick out a bit causing this but just wondering if anyone has done any repair work on this plastic and has any tips for cleaning up at all short of me having to take to a body shop to fill in chips and repaint.......

Old 07-12-2011, 01:55 PM

This happens on all hummers unless you have nerf bars...then it just doesn't happen as much. I have mud flaps and I still get chips. You could get the damage repaired and then apply some sort of clear plastic sticker type cover on that area.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by H3DONIST
This happens on all hummers unless you have nerf bars...then it just doesn't happen as much. I have mud flaps and I still get chips. You could get the damage repaired and then apply some sort of clear plastic sticker type cover on that area.
Well said! X2

Old 07-12-2011, 02:37 PM

The body shop I use said they could apply the 'textured' paint that's being used on rocker panels of a lot of cars these days. It has the ability to resist chipping better. Only problem is, he didn't know a good way to feather/blend it in with the rest of the panel.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:03 PM

I have nerf and mudflaps, but these PA 100 fly rocks till no end. Great discussion as Ive got some good size chips goin on.
You could get the damage repaired and then apply some sort of clear plastic sticker type cover on that area.
THis would be the most cost effective option!

But the texture paint sounds cool too! Great post

Old 07-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Banned

they could apply the 'textured' paint that's being used on rocker panels
color match?
since anything,clear etc, will show,may sound crazy but maybe mask off a likely size, avoiding the black stripe,and shoot it!! with texture

my first guess would be out to wheel well and up to,,,???

it aint gonna be real pretty,,till u get used to it!!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 AM

thanks guys for the ideas....not sure if its worth repairing a this point or not...as as I found out I am not alone with these chips and they probably will just come back in time as I wheel more....but well sometimes I just like to make it look pretty once in awhile!! well see!!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by jaymazurk
I was noticing that on back doors where it flares out a number of chips. I am assuming its because I have no mud flaps and the 33" tires that stick out a bit causing this but just wondering if anyone has done any repair work on this plastic and has any tips for cleaning up at all short of me having to take to a body shop to fill in chips and repaint.......
Yep, like everyone is saying, this is pretty common.
Here is what I got years ago and works perfectly.
Be advised I ONLY bought the clear pieces that go over the rear fender flares i.e. "Wheel Opening Kit"
I have changed them out only once in four years.
NO chips, dings, runs hits or errors.

Passenger Cars & Light Trucks 2007 Hummer H3 Adventure : XPEL X-Pel Paint and Headlamp Protection Kits

Old 07-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned
Default the rear fender flares i.e. "Wheel Opening Kit"

love to see some good pix. i know its not ez!

they peel off,,,ez?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
love to see some good pix. i know its not ez!

they peel off,,,ez?
The web site has a video.
They require some skill, but are not difficult.
They are pressure sensitive backed and go on with a plastic squeegee they supply
when you order.
I have used the thicker (30mil) ones for the headlight housings and they have saved me from three direct stone hits

Quick Reply: back doors chip