PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

B to B Expiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 AM
Default B to B Expiring

I have been a member of this forum since 5-2008. I have learned a lot and hopefully contributed somewhat. I am on my 3rd H3 and the 50K/4yr. Bumper to Bumper warranty will soon expire mileage wise on my 2010 Alpha/Offroad. The only major things replaced under warranty so far were the master cylinder and the rear engine cover that was leaking oil. I plan to go over it thoroughly wilth my local mechanic before that time. I will also do the same before my Powertrain Warranty expires. We will check for obvious leaks and wear on the drive train componants, radiator and cooling system for leaks, and the front differential bushing and any cosmetic problems. I have reviewed all the TSB's and don't seem to have any issues related to them. I am soliciting input from members for anything else I should check or pay special attention too. Thank you.

Last edited by RKSmith163; 02-25-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:38 PM

The rear differential seal started to leak on my 2006 just before the end of warranty. During the same last warranty service, my dealer also replaced the radio for me because the paint was starting to wear off of the radio selector buttons.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 PM

The tranny cooloer inside the radiator has been known to give out. If it does, then you will get anti-freeze in your tranny and the tranny will be fried real fast. If not covered by warranty (B & B or the extended premier plan) you are looking at a new radiator & transmission at $2,000-3,500 to replace - and possibly needing a new engine if the antifreeze got sucked into the engine and you let it go too long.

I'm not sure how you can catch this before it happens but if it does give out, you won't get any warning lights or codes and are looking at a major repair bill. Your tranny will start to slip and then quicky after that, the tranny will give out. This just happened to my wife's '08 H3 Lux with only 55k mi. - dealer serviced from day 1 with all factory scheduled maintenance. The GM regional rep is coming to town tomorrow to assess and confirm the damage. Glad she had the GM extended warranty with $100 deductible. So far, the tranny and radiator need to be replaced. Waiting to see what they say about the engine.

Last edited by Bigunit; 02-25-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bigunit
The tranny cooloer inside the radiator has been known to give out. If it does, then you will get anti-freeze in your tranny and the tranny will be fried real fast. If not covered by warranty (B & B or the extended premier plan) you are looking at a new radiator & transmission at $2,000-3,500 to replace - and possibly needing a new engine if the antifreeze got sucked into the engine and you let it go too long.

I'm not sure how you can catch this before it happens but if it does give out, you won't get any warning lights or codes and are looking at a major repair bill. Your tranny will start to slip and then quicky after that, the tranny will give out. This just happened to my wife's '08 H3 Lux with only 55k mi. - dealer serviced from day 1 with all factory scheduled maintenance. The GM regional rep is coming to town tomorrow to assess and confirm the damage. Glad she had the GM extended warranty with $100 deductible. So far, the tranny and radiator need to be replaced. Waiting to see what they say about the engine.
Thanks Bigunit, I am aware of the transmisson cooler issue and like you I don't know of any good way to catch it before it is too late. By the time transmisson fluid shows up in the cooling system the transmission is already toast. I did take the gamble and purchased GMPP Major Guard so I am covered almost fully until 12-10-15 or 111K. It's the first time I ever purchase an extended warranty. It looks like it is going to pay off in your case. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:08 PM

You bet RK. Sounds like you have good extended warranty coverage too.

By way of update, the GM regional rep flew in to town today to assess the damage. We are very pleased with his initial assessment: the H3 needs a new radiator, brand new tranny (not a reman/rebuilt one), belts, hoses and all necessary gaskets, etc. loaner car, and once they are able to assess engine damage, if any, brand new engine. 3 year warranty from date of installation on the radiator and tranny & engine, if needed. They estimate that all work should be completed by Friday this week. Parts being shipped via express delivery. I have to say, they took care of us and only cost us the $100 deductible on the GMPP extended warranty. I would have to recommend picking up the GMPP extended coverage.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bigunit
You bet RK. Sounds like you have good extended warranty coverage too.

By way of update, the GM regional rep flew in to town today to assess the damage. We are very pleased with his initial assessment: the H3 needs a new radiator, brand new tranny (not a reman/rebuilt one), belts, hoses and all necessary gaskets, etc. loaner car, and once they are able to assess engine damage, if any, brand new engine. 3 year warranty from date of installation on the radiator and tranny & engine, if needed. They estimate that all work should be completed by Friday this week. Parts being shipped via express delivery. I have to say, they took care of us and only cost us the $100 deductible on the GMPP extended warranty. I would have to recommend picking up the GMPP extended coverage.
That's great news. Keep us up to date. It's good to know that GMPP is working as it should.