PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

"automatic" headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Default "automatic" headlights

Before taking my H3 back for service (a two hour trip) I'm trying to make sure I understand the headlight system.

Basically, my headlights are on all the time. Mid-day, dusk, sunny, cloudy, always without fail they're on.

The owner's manual talks about putting the lights in/out of auto mode, but it seems to say that no matter what, when you turn off the car you put it back in auto mode. Is that right?

The light sensor is definitely not covered and it's clean. The windshield doesn't appear to have any after-market tint.

Cliff

Old 10-20-2010, 01:22 PM

Are you sure it's just not the DRL's. Daytime Running Lights? Are your dash lights, marker lights and taillights illuminated during sunlight? 06's and early 07's used the park lights for DRL's but later 07's and up used the headlights.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:16 PM

Ah, ok, that's probably it. From what I've just been reading, I can just pull a fuse to disable them. Thanks!

Old 10-20-2010, 02:21 PM

Yes when you restart the lights go back to auto mode. Like RK said check to see if it's just the headlights on (DRL) or are they all on. I've noticed mine seems to be kind of sensitive, just a little bit of shade on the sensor turns all my lights on & I think some others have mentioned this also

Old 10-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Banned
Default i pulled drl fuse,,,

still always have lites on outside

i gave up trying to understand that part of the confusion manual,,i just dont know what to expect,,cannot predict what will happen next

Old 10-20-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
still always have lites on outside

i gave up trying to understand that part of the confusion manual,,i just dont know what to expect,,cannot predict what will happen next
I haven't tried it, but, in addition to the DRL fuse, there's a DRL relay. Maybe pulling that would work?

Old 10-20-2010, 07:22 PM

When you pull the DRL fuse they become "automatic". With the DRL the halogens are supposed to be dimmer and when it gets dark the bulb get brighter but I never noticed it and I didn't like burning out my bulbs during broad day light. It wouldn't matter so much now I have HIDs but I just didn't like having lights on in day I want them to automatically come on at night, and pulling the fuse did that.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Banned
Default still could be my fault

i checked lites at the mall, big window, tonite and,,,my FOGS are out!!.
so no matter how i tried,,,i must have got the wrong fuse, hey theres hundreds to pick from!

ill check tomorrow,report back ltr

Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 PM

My 06 has the parking light drl's. Not sure whether I'm a fan of them or not. I really like how the H2's have the fog light drl's. Wish I could rewire mine to where the fogs were my drl's...think it would be hard?

Old 10-21-2010, 04:43 AM

I don't see the problem with having DRLs on all the time - definitely makes you more visible on the road.

Quick Reply: "automatic" headlights