PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Attention Members

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Default RE: Attention Members

if your getting a yellow banner then your security settings are set too high....or just go in and allor hummerforums. I think the yellow banner is a Microsoft security certificate warning? Not sure as I'm no computer geek...maybe hummerguy can help here....Sorry Mike, I think I inadvertantly called you a computer geek..

RealJeep...I don't get it...the link you give opens to a page that says there is MINIMAL RISK...so why are you so worked up? Every site on the net is a minimal risk.

Man...you must look at really crappy ****..cause all the good stuff is medium to high risk.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:14 AM

I just don't like the idea of anyone on any site tracking me or gathering personal info. Of course my bank and others who have a need to know get past my security settings. And No, I don't do ****, that's for the weak minded.

There are too many sites like doubleclick that gather too much info. What business is it of theirs where I go? Ohhh, so they can scam my E-mail and spam the **** out of me? I don't think so!

For this very reason is why I love proxy servers and cookie killers.

Want to know a little about computer security?
http://grc.com Follow the links and see where this guy busted the fine folks at real player for doing just this.

It's not a matter of security with me pertaining to doubleclick, they can't get past my settings, it's a matter of principle! Where I go and what I do on the net is NO ONES business, my E-mail is mine to share with whoI want to share it with, not doubleclicks and when Google is skimming off surfing stats they can count me out because you can use Google without accepting their cookie.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Here's my input about it, and any of my fellow I.T. groupies can add their opinions.

I deal with this all the time. It's my job. All I can tell you is that it is what it is. The internet is about as safe of a place now as Iraq. You can't avoid it. You can have all the SPAM and pop-up blocker software you want, but the trade-off is warning messages and some legit pages and software being blocked or thought of as a threat. Just because people are tracking what you do doesn't mean it's militious. Half of it is paranoia and people that DON'T work in the professional I.T. world talking out their *** about things they don't have experience with.

Note that I am NOT talking about any members on this forum. I'm talking about the people out there that instile paranoia in others because they heard a report about it on the news from reporters that don't know how to turn their computers on and off.

Just so we all have an understanding here..........

Does that make it right? HELL NO, but a web site tracking what you do is the same as your wife calling you to find out what you are doing, or someone following you, etc. You can avoid those people but they will always find a way to snoop. I use the wife analogy VERY loosely

It's an unfortunate circumstance of being on the internet but again, it's the way it is. If people are worried or concerned about it, there is only one 100% sure-fire solution.

Don't use the internet.

RealJeep has the right idea though. Do some research on the different messages and cookies to see what they do and how bad/malicious they are to your system. You can manually block anything, but I don't even bother. The way I see it, my time is precious to me and since I spend the entire day troubleshooting problems like this, the last thing I want to do is go home and worry about my bank tracking me or a pop-up that tells me I won a free laptop. It's easier to click the X botton then for me to keep adding and configuring my PC to block those things. If your hard drive crashes and you don't have software that does a complete mirrored backup, you will have to start from scratch all over again configuring and blocking, etc.

I will tell you this. MOST I.T. professionals I either know or workwith don't use pop-up blockers, SPAM blockers, etc. because we don't care and understand it's not that bad as people say it is.

Again, RealJeep is on the right track. Do some research and find out if it's really bad. Don't let some Geek Squad (no offense) member tell you how horrible they are.

It's a business, just like everything else in the world.

Again, I can't stand it either. I hate tracking cookies, I hate pop-ups, etc. but I could care less. It doesn't affect my personal life, so if someone wants to know that I'm going to hummerforums.com, buying a tv from bestbuy.com or going to IGN.com to find the latest video game reviews, big whoopdy doo.

Just my opinion.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:22 AM

nothing more I can tell you then... if your that type of paranoid person, then the internet might not be for you...feel free to click on the red X in the upper right hand corner of your screen....good luck finding another forum where "THE MAN" isn't watching over your shoulder.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mike; that's EXACTLY what I just said I can't believe this. We actually AGREE on something for once? I'll be damned. Hell has frozen over

Old 03-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Just to clarify,I don't support ANY tracking software/cookies, not even on this site, and I honestly don't know the technicalities of what we have and what we don't because we don't control that. The company that owns this site does. We are just here to moderate the site. We have absolutely no control over the ads that are put on here, the cookies, etc.

I just want you guys/gals to know the Admins/Moderators have nothing to do with the advertising and technical functionality of the site. We are just here to make sure it's a fun and safe place for everybody.

But keep in mind, there is nothing on this site that is going to destroy your computer. If you want to believe that it's going to hurt you or your system in any way, that's fine, you have the right too, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not going to do anything.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

One more thing....

Nobody has the right to track what you do, etc. I absolutely hate it. It's another one of our privacy and freedoms that is slowly getting taken away from us. I don't want anybody to believe I support it in anyway. I am 100% completely against any form of computer tracking. It's nobody's business what you or anybody else does on the internet or in your personal life.

Unfortunately, that's how it is, and someone will always find a way.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:16 PM

Here's the yellow banner

[IMG]local://upfiles/4143/D5B843148F7D45739B125A63DE3D6D16.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-28-2008, 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: RealJeep

And No, I don't do ****, that's for the weak minded.
weak minded...and strong handed..thank you very much[8D]

Old 03-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

geegee; that is not an Internet Explorer message. That is from a third-party spyware program that's integrated into the browser. What spyware/system utilities are you running? Norton or McAfee? SpyBot? I'm just wondering in case we see it again.

Quick Reply: Attention Members