PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Attention all Right Hand Drive Hummer Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Default Attention all Right Hand Drive Hummer Owners

As you all know the hummer was originally built as a left hand drive Vehicle in theUSA.
When Hummer decided to go International it had to be converted to a Right hand drive as well.The Right hand drive Hummers arenow all Assembled in South Africa.The problem is when you move the steering wheel,radiator heater etc etcyou have to move all the corresponding piping,cables etc etc with it.

So now with the right hand drive there is a water Gurgle noise that you can here inside the cabin comming from the radiator heater,The reason for this is the piping that comes through the firewall has a ninety degree bend in it,As you know if you bend a pipe with water going through it at speed it starts to make a noise.

This Noise is also only audible at revs above 3500rpm.

GM says that it is totally harmless? Which I assume it is but still not 100% confinced?

Also the noise is extremely irritating when you are overtaking another Vehicle and you need to accelerate rather quickly.

Does Anybody know someone at GM USA that can find out how far they are with sorting this problem on the Right Hand dive Hummer H3's as here in South Africa I cant seem to get a Honest Answer from GMSA

Some Vehicles make more noise than others but the noise is there on most of them.

GM South Africa has esculated this problem to GM USA and they have made a few workarrounds on this Pipe that has stillnot resolved the problem.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Default RE: Attention all Right Hand Drive Hummer Owners

Trex i have a rhd h3 here in cyprus!
got mine late october and coverd about 5000km(nice weather so riding my bikes alot!)
i have an annoying scraping sound from the driveline somewere and cannot find the problem(already changed transfercase)scraping noise increases with road speed not engine rpm!
i have'nt noticed this noise you described with my h3 but can hear water draining when i turn off the engine.i imagine this is normal since my wrangler done the same thing!
i have another 2 friends with h3's so i will ask them if they have this problem!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:53 PM

I want a hummer with RHD

Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Not me. I would probably run into everything.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:41 PM

Trex!
was with my mates today and told them of your problem,they didnt notice anything like you described with there h3's.
are you sure its not something simple like bleeding the cooling/heating system?
hope you get it sorted soon!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:08 AM

The Dealer's here in South Africa have a sort of a workaround where they remove the Pipe and file the 90 Degree bend to try and get rid of the noise? This however does not make much of a difference as the noise is still there just a little softer than before.

Like I have mentioned beforeGMSA are aware of the problem and are currently liasing with GMUSA to get a suitable solution.It Just seems to be taking so long to fix IMHO a simple problem?