PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

AT'S OR MUD

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:37 AM
Default RE: AT'S OR MUD

out of a rating of 5 stars they got 5 for pavement noise and handling. 5 for sand and dirt traction. 3 for wet pavement and 3 for snow traction. oh and 2 for rock crawling. You can sipe them yourself and that would make the wet and snow covered pavement traction go way up, but most don't want to do that. I would just cause they are sick looking and the bigger the sidewall the bigger the flames.....I saw a set in person when my neighbors grandson got a set of 35's on his f-250.....dik[:@]

Old 03-22-2007, 01:41 AM

LOL! I hear ya bro, I do like the pattern on those things!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 04:31 AM

What I have found is the , and I am talking about BFG, the AT will get you almost twice the mileage compared to the MT.[/align]I also feel the BFG line of tires are superioir in roundness, quality of the compound , and strength compared to the Micky Thompsons, Nitto's and the rest of the group.[/align]

Old 03-22-2007, 05:10 AM

If you balance pavement driving higherthan off-road.. I'd look for a very aggressive 285 or 305 AT... Muds are better in Mud and climbing rock.. Sand, snow, slick rock, pavement and higher mileage.. And AT will generally rule the roost.. With the 305 you're splitting the difference in width of the 285 and the 315, but since most 305's I've seen are only 70's instead of 75's, the height will be very close to the 285.. The 305 will be heavier than the 285 though, so MPG will suffer mildly..

As far as which AT to pick.. Look at the specs, listen to what folks say here and in other places. Pick a couple that sound like they'd work well.. Google the dickens out of them all and read everything about 'em you can so you can make a careful decision.. Find the best prices.. Find out they are out of stock.. Toss out everything you've found out about all the tires and buy the one that's in stock and looks the most prettiful...

Old 03-22-2007, 05:21 AM

BTW... If you find you can afford a second set cheapsteel wheels... Get a set of Buckshot Mudders to play off road withand run the factory tires on pavement.. Should only take you 30 minutes or so to swap 'em out if you wanna go muddin'....

FWIW.. This is the direction I've gone.. Put on a set of 315 BFG Muds on a second set up OEM H3 wheels.. I got a hell of a deal all the way around.. Cost was under $1000.. I've been running them for about 1000 miles so far.. No major complaints in their on road ablility , but I'm not a very aggressive driver anymore.. Going to run Superlift in Hot Springs the end of March.. I'll pull the Muds off after that and put the factory 265's back on until July, when we're going to go run some trails up around Vail and Breckenridge in CO.. Swap back to the 315's for the trip and back to the 265's at home.. Keep the Muds in good shape for those special occasions.. I figure I won't have to buy new tires again for at least 8 years...

I'm actually tyring to figure out a way to just haul the Muds to Colorado and put 'em on after we get there.. That's about a 3000 mile round trip of Hwy wear and tear on the Muds.. Guess I could get a U-haul trailer for a week..

Old 03-22-2007, 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: h3 bigboy

i will recomend you the AT, i wanted to instal to my h3 the nitto mud grapplers beatiful tires, but when i went and ask for them they told me for what are you going to use it. and i told them mostly highway so they said my we dont recomend you the mud, since when it is raining they dont have any grip and they become very slippery, so i decided better for the nitto terra grappler excellent tires, best offroad tires purshased ever.
OK, so I'm not the only one that was told this exact same thing at least. It sounds like if the M/T's (or any tire for that matter) have siping on the treads, they should be fine on wet roads - correct me if I'm wrong.