PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Armorall and similiar products, good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Default Armorall and similiar products, good or bad?

What is everybody's opinion about using armorall or similiar products?

I use it on all the black plastic molding on the outside of the truck to protect if from fading and to make it look good. My H3 is almost 2 years old and without using it the black plastic looks a dry grey color.

As we all know its supposed to protect from fading, cracking, etcdue to the sun...

But there is that urban legend out there that says using these products only cause more harm than good???

So what do you all think about it?

Old 08-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Default RE: Armorall and similiar products, good or bad?

Try some on your steering shaft

Armorall looks good. I don't like it because it attracts dust but once a year or so couldn't hurt. You can use it in the fender wells too.

I would avoid using it on the tires since it would make the side walls more vulnerable to being cut on rocks and it spins off and gets on the side of the truck.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:15 PM

check out this thread: https://www.hummerforums.com/m_41041..._1/key_/tm.htm

Old 08-08-2007, 05:15 PM

I use it on my tires and fender wells almost everytime I wash it, I do all the other molding about once a month, if I dont it looks faded. I dont use armorall but a similiar product ( forgot what its called).

I just wonder by using it so much if I am causing the plastic to wear out faster? Sounds bass ackwards but I think that is what its rumored to do.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:29 PM

thats interesting...I dont use armorall and I dont know if what I use is sillicone based. I buy stuff specifically for my tires and another kind for the interior and exterior. For the exterior I try and buy something with a fair amount of UV abosrbers to protect against fading.

I doubt armorall is still using their original formula.

ORIGINAL: alrock

check out this thread: https://www.hummerforums.com/m_41041..._1/key_/tm.htm

Old 08-08-2007, 05:50 PM

Armor All will turn everything to crap over time. I think the best thing to use on the exterior black molding is the Ice polish. Just put a good coat of it on and you won't have to touch it for a while.

As for the tires and dash, I use Meguiers.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:50 PM

Armor Allcontains a high percentage of water.

I havevery good luck with Meguair's Gold Class Trim Detailer for the exterior. It will last througha car washing and doesn't leave a slick finish. Meguair's Mirror Glaze #40 (Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner) works great on the interior and tires. If you spray#40 on the tires before washing and then use a tire brush, on you'll get a nice finish that won't end up on the side of your H3. I have been using Mequair's products since 1984 - got a new corvette and a detailer put me on to their products...

Old 08-08-2007, 11:33 PM

I use Meguair's and Armor All on my H3. Both do the job!

Old 08-08-2007, 11:38 PM

Meguirs products are MUCH better. ArmorAll turned my tires brown over time. I remember once ArmorAlling my spare tire on my FJ40. The next day I got a flat and put the spare ArmorAlled tire of the front right. At the first red light I went totally to the left as the right tire had zero traction. That was not as bad as putting it on your motorcycle seat. They should have that ride at Great Adventure.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:36 AM

While in collage I ran the Make Ready Department at a dealership, so I've detailed a few cars.

I do not like armor all. The dash is designed to not be shiny, which reduces glare. I don't like the smell of Armor All and it attracts dirt. Best way to clean it is to dampen a pice of news parper and wipe it down. If you need to put something on it, try this. If you have an AutoMagic distributer that will sell tothe public,they have a similar product too.

For the exterior trim, just keep it clean. If it starts to fade, put a coat of vinyl dye on it.