PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

? for anyone who has installed factory headrest monitors

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Default ? for anyone who has installed factory headrest monitors

Hello, and yes this my first post. Just bought my wife an 06 H3 and I think Im more excited than she is. Long story short is that we NEED some rear seat video for our son, who we spoiled from birth with monitors in our other vehicles. I found a set of factory headrests with monitors for sale on the net but they left me with a few questions.

It is hard to tell from the description but do the factory units have a built in DVD player or will I need a seperate video source?

If they have the DVD built in, can I still run video out to another monitor. I would like to do the adaptor that allows video to the DVD nav screen. Really just want this feature so we know whats happening on the screen and when we need to hit play, etc. He's still too young to do this for himself.

How is the quality? Would I be better off just going with aftermarket monitors?

Thanks. Glad I found this place.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Default RE: ? for anyone who has installed factory headrest monitors

Just some advise. I bought my factory monitors off e-bay (new) and them installed at the dealer. Saved about $1000! They are really nice and are a perfect interior match. I don't know if i would go with them again beacuse i have a 3 yr old little boy. He loves to push the friggin' buttons and the wireless headsets are very sensitive and easy to change the channel, volumeetc. I feel like a contorsionist try to bend around the seat while driving to see what he messed with. BIG pain in the A*S. In the future, i am going with an indash radio/DVD payer (factory unit in my wifes Yukon) with the monitor installed overhead (monitor only). Be careful with the overhead systems too; don't go too big or the headliner will bounce when driving if it is not supported well, and with power moonroofs installed in most vehicles now, ther ei snothing to help support the weight. I would stay with a 10" monitor or less. I have used the factory indash units before and they are so easy and you don't have to break your back bending over the back seat. If the kids are older and able to operate a total headrest system then they areGREAT, otherwise i would chose something else. By the way it cost me $250 to have the Hummer dealer install my system; they went 3rd party for the install.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Default RE: ? for anyone who has installed factory headrest monitors

Opps, too late. I was watchingthat auction from my phone and jumped on them after pricing them for $2499 plus tax and installation at the dealer. Couldnt pass up the HUGE savings. Most reputable audio store in town wanted over $1500 for two screens and a dvd player installed. I walked away with the new factory match for under $600 delivered. Just hope I can keep my boy from pushing buttons. My next move will be to buy the adaptor that will allow the video over the factory Nav screen. At least that way I know what's getting pushed and can correct from the front.

Has anyonedone this install? I am fairly knowledgeable in car stereo installs and not afraid to tackle this task. My major concern is the removal and replacement of the headrests, plus running the wires through the seats. Im guessingI will have to pull the hard plastic covers off the seat back to acces all this. Anyone know how to accomplish this? The rest should be a piece of cake. (I hope).

Any and all advice is welcome.