PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Anyone interested in H3T rocker panel bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:53 AM

This is turning out to be a very interesting and informative post for those of us trying to find a high quality rock slider for our T's if we can stay away from the bashing and give Chance some constructive feedback. It does look like he is willing to listen. He could have just disappeared after posting his pics.

From what I've heard & read from other H owners and forums, right out of the shoot, RR didn't get it right either & their product has evolved into a very good product because a lot of hard-core wheelers were willing to try them out and provided RR with some great feedback. Hell, the RR site still has a picture of an H3 slider that only has 3 mounting brackets and one that has 4. I was confused when I saw these seemingly conflicting pictures on their site. To make my point, check out the pictures on RR's current ebay listing for H3T sliders:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hummer-H3T-Truck-Rockrails-Rock-Sliders-Supersliders-/260418795241?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Part s_Accessories&hash=item3ca22b76e9

Afrter reading JGBB04's comments last night about the 4 sets of mounting holes, I went and looked at my T and the OEM side step rails and only saw 3 mounting plates & sets of bolts. So, I was even more confused.

Let's keep in mind why we are all here - to help each other out by sharing our experiences and information. That way, as in this case, we might collectively provide Chance with some useful feedback so that he can go back to the drawing board and provide us with a slider option for our T's that might be even better than what's already out there. I personally would like the option of having a OEM spec slider for my T capable of adding and removing the OEM side steps for wheeling so long it's as strong and offers as much protection and coverage as what's currently available. That would indeed be a unique product because as all of you T owners know, currently it does not exist. That's why I offered to help load these pictures, so that we'd all have a chance to see if this guy was onto something that so far no one else has tried to build for out T's, not even GM.

Last edited by Bigunit; 07-23-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 AM

I never responded to the comment about missing the 4th set of holes, i was afraid of sounding ignorant lol I was going off memory, I myself never found a 4th set and if in fact there is a 4th set that is covered by factory stickers on the frame it would explain why. And im not sure if im understanding you correctly (JGBB04) but the steps im talkin about are the factory removable drop down steps that are pictured in my very first post in the second pic. These steps do bolt right onto the bars i make now and function the same way as they do on an H3 they bolt into the brackets between the inner and outer bars the exact same way as the factory ones on an H3. The problem i ran into is i do not own an h3t myself and the dealer was kind enough to hook me up with a customer that had bought the last one off there lot but I only had the truck for a day. I myself understand the want completely for full length bars the dealership requested from edge of door to edge of door. I believe design flaws or room for improvements in the products for the guys that actually use there trucks is totally different than a hacked together product. I will stand behind my welds and the strength of my bars. I am going to pursue the avenue of changing up a few things on these bars, im heading to the dealership to try and find a truck again to mock up off of. Or if anyone is in my area i would offer a free set of bars to them to use there truck for mock up. And as far as the forums go i cant tell you which forums some of these guys are on, most of my sales have been word of mouth from one hummer owner to another, they seem to be a pretty close knit group of guys which is how it should be. I have only posted on 3 forums this is the only forum that has had posts that were not spam. I have however sold 3 sets through the hummerxforum with guys that have just emailed me directly since i had my email posted I cant control who follows up with posting pics. I do know that Hummer of sf SD has pics of these bars that were ran in there offroad course that was held in May i will try and track down some pics. Are the factory removable steps something that you guys would like to be able to bolt onto these bars in the future? I am open to any and all CONSTRUCTIVE criticism there is room for improvement in all products.

Last edited by chance_mcneil; 07-23-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:12 AM

Chance,
Where are you located? If you are close, I'll offer up my T for you to do your mock-up work.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:21 AM

I am located in Sioux Falls South Dakota. Im in the south east corner of the state.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:39 PM

I'm in southern Arizona (Tucson) so that probably won't work but I'd be happy to send you whatever HD pictures, video or measurements off my T that can help you out. Just let me know.

I'm going to go home & look for that elusive 4th set of mounting holes for a 4th bracket. So can anyone on here confirm the number of mounting brackets on your H3T RR sliders? I do know that the OEM side steps have only 3 brackets per side.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:05 PM

I was wrong on the steps sorry!

So to weed out our rants the constructive criticism so far is.

1- Get all 4 mounting points, I tried to find pics of just the factory H3 rails but all I found so far was a short video clip that shows all 4.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/videos/01...820/index.html

2- Close the ends up, don't want them rusting away from the inside.

3- They need to cover the full length of the rocker panel.

4- The mounting points, I don't know much about metal so I don't have any imput on those.

5- Price, I know you need to make money on these but there are some other choices available now. I Don't want to hijack your post so I'll make a new one w/ what I found today while looking for pics.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bigunit
I'm in southern Arizona (Tucson) so that probably won't work but I'd be happy to send you whatever HD pictures, video or measurements off my T that can help you out. Just let me know.

I'm going to go home & look for that elusive 4th set of mounting holes for a 4th bracket. So can anyone on here confirm the number of mounting brackets on your H3T RR sliders? I do know that the OEM side steps have only 3 brackets per side.
The RR ones have 3. the first pic in the ebay listing you posted must be for a different vehicle, the ones further down are what they look like

Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bigunit

Let's keep in mind why we are all here - to help each other out by sharing our experiences and information. That way, as in this case, we might collectively provide Chance with some useful feedback so that he can go back to the drawing board and provide us with a slider option for our T's that might be even better than what's already out there.
Bigunit, I'm not trying to offend "you".

Your comment above is incorrect. chance_mcneil was not here to "help" anyone out but chance_mcneil with a sale of his inferior parts and would have continued to "push" those sub-par parts until someone spoke up.

Then when we "finally" got to see the pix, everyone who wheels their H3T could tell they are not what they are described to be in his first post. They are just non-functional fancy mounts for the OEM removable steps. Of course the dealer wanted to save money by having short rails and no caps on the product. They don't care if it is functional or will last as long as they make their cut.

NOW, chance_mcneil is asking for advice.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:08 PM

Tainter,
No offense taken and no offense intended - but I try to be a little subtle in my posts. But if I have to be not so subtle and explain the reasons for my comments, then the whole purpose of my posts on this thread was to set out the cheese to see if we had a rat (if youv'e seen Scorcese's Departed, you know what I mean). Now that Chance has been given the chance, let's see what he does with it - in other words, give Chance a chance.

Last edited by Bigunit; 07-23-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:04 PM

I understand all the concerns and desires of the bars at the time i had never wheeled a hummer on a course and everyone knows what works on paper doesnt always work on the trail its like that with every vehicle.... Im not sure why you still insist that these are such **** products with inferior work? Design flaws are understandable you act as if i made these out of exhaust pipe?! i would put these bars against oem bars any day (with the exception of the length of the bars and the open caps because of rust both of which are easily fixed) I was not trying to push junk onto anyone i posted my personal cell phone number i could give you my home address if thats what you would like, im not trying to make a quick buck and run. Im sorry for the confusion i think i should have used the words nerf bar? would that have pleased you?? In the end they are still used to protect the rocker panels, even though there can be changes made to add more protection. As far as strength goes they work great. can someone give me the measurements that everybody can agree on that these bars should be for length (wheel well to wheel well). Also does the truck have the same body line from wheel well to wheel well ( no additional bends needed to clear body?) Im not asking for someone to do the work for me, We have one hummer dealership in Sioux Falls and they dont have a single H3T on the lot ( I was there today) I appreciate the criticism thats what these forums are for i would rather have this on a public topic than in PMs So everyone can see concerns and give input. You guys are the hummer Owners we need to build them to your specs. And by the way the dealership that had me build the 4 sets of bars never made a dime on them the customers wrote the checks directly to me at the time i didnt think they were wanting me to cut corners to widen there profit margin I think the guy i worked with was great at selling hummers just not keen on using them on the trails. I look forward to making a great product that everyone can agree on. And by the way i think i would be a **** poor fabricator (tainter) if i didnt ask for your opinion or advice as you call it you guys are the ones on the trails with these things i have already stated i dont own an h3t it would make the most sense for you guys to share the requirements of your accesories so you receive the best product available to you.

Last edited by chance_mcneil; 07-23-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in H3T rocker panel bars