PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

anyone install a tablet in the console?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Default anyone install a tablet in the console?

Just curious if any installed an ipad or android tablet in their hummer?
*I know geek question

Old 03-24-2014, 08:48 PM

What could you get out of a tablet that you could not get from one of the cheap HP touch screen laptops? It is smaller but maybe get one of those laptop/tablet things that come apart.

I was thinking about using the mounts that police use in their cars to hold whatever.

What is needed is an internet connection that is fast. Best I can come up with easily is an LTE phone that shares the connection (forgot what its called). I am not impressed with the speed, but the cost is doable. Keep the kids busy on trips.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:58 AM

Tablet is very inexpensive vs a touchscreen tablet. If it gets stolen or some type of direct sunlight damage, your out under $100 vs over $500. Of course a laptop has more power and complex apps to run but generally do not have a GPS unless you purchase a device, then some software to take advantage of it. Most smart phones/tablets have speech recognition and tie into other apps which hands free is not only an advantage but some places, it's the law.

Now what I have set up so far is....
Simple aux in from Shwarttzy ... H3 Quick n’ Simple Auxiliary In |

Kinivo Bluetooth adapter ...
Amazon.com: Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX: Car Electronics

ODB2 diag adapter to read auto data ...
Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive

Torque app to read odbii data and display it
Viper4android to tweak the audio between tablet/phone -Bluetooth and stereo, which is a fantastic application in itself

My issue is how to mount the tablet. I don't want a suction cup on windshield device as it is a beacon for thieves. I seen some videos of custom in dash creations for tablets and was hoping someone here did this

Old 03-26-2014, 07:32 PM

Good ideas for use. I would like to get a really good OBD2 program.

I can't think of anywhere that would comfortably and neatly hold a tablet built in and be able to see the screen all the time (like a navigation screen).

Except for an overhead console maybe. Custom built one - look for basic build tips through google.

You could get an old overhead dvd player that is close to the correct size and remove the screen. Custom fit the tablet to where the old screen was. Or use the drop down cover and latch in a custom overhead console.

Just trying to give ideas as I have been wanting to do this. I have an idea to build a box on the passenger side of the console that would fit tight around the tablet/etc. Then flip a small lid up, grab the tablet, pull straight up until support rod is extended (vertical), then flip to the side laying the tablet horizontal. Tilt for driver viewing. No I have not worked the design out but it is doable. Also be harder to see there. One of these decades I may have time to work it out.

===========================================

On the laptop, there is software that will let you set up custom voice commands to control the PC. There is software (better) to control the OBD2 and to see the engine operation of the engine. I want to say we bought my 7 year old a touch screen HP laptop with Windows 8 for about $350 at Christmas. If you could hide it well...

Old 03-26-2014, 07:38 PM

Forgot to mention that GPS for the PC is cheap since everyone has a gps on there cell now. A friend that owns a business selling backup cams gave me one a few years ago because he couldn't sell them.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 PM

Check out carhome ultra
This is shown on a phone but works on a tablet too
http://m.youtube.com/results?q=carhome&sm=3

Old 08-06-2014, 02:28 PM

How well does the torque app work with your ECU? I really want to try out the app on my 03.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:44 PM

I believe Guerrero(sp?) glassed in a tablet into his passenger air bag area. Turned out awesome!

Old 08-07-2014, 10:04 AM

I ended up getting the Parrot Asteroid Smart
Parrot Asteroid Smart - USA

I tether internet off my phone, it is great.
Works with Torque but I prefer Dash Commander instead
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ce.DashCommand

Old 08-07-2014, 12:47 PM

I just have my iPhone mounted on the dash and my iPad mounted off the passenger seat inner frame mout bolt with a RAM tablet mount. H3T

RAM Pod I Universal No-Drill™ Vehicle Mount with Universal X-Grip® II Holder for Small Tablets

Would love to replace the factory radio with a custom iPad install but tablets change so fast whatever's installed will be obsolete/replaced within a year requiring more custom work again in a few years for any replacement that will obviously have changed dimensions. I've seen some installed in cars and are pretty damn sweet. I'm tempted every time I have to reposition mine for any passengers in my T lol. Not so much now that I have a daily driver though.