PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Anyone else running a pyro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Default Anyone else running a pyro?

Hey all -
Just finished my gauge install yesterday - once I got everthing tore apart, it went well. My truck was completely dyna - matted before I bought it, so some of the dash panels were really stuck in there. Question - Anyone else running a pyro in a NA H1? I stuck the probe directly above the flange on the drivers side exhaust manifold - And I am regularly getting readings of 1400* on relatively level ground when working the truck and have seen 1600* on some steep grades. IMO, those numbers are alarming. I'm gonna open up the exhaust ASAP... Here's a couple (bad) pics -

[IMG]local://upfiles/4213/DD8DF8119CCB4D569180578082030081.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4213/4A81266C7BCB42D9959E4477409B6894.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Default RE: Anyone else running a pyro?

very nice i need to get myself some of those guages

Old 02-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Why do you have a boost guage?

but.. to answer your question... kinda... Most people mountthe probe 3-6 inches down on the downtube... did you welb a bung in there or are you just laying it on the metal? 1400-1600 degrees?I have a friend with a powerstroke and pulling 10,000lbs he is seeing 700-800egt.. I sure hope that is false because most people will argue that the maximum safe EGT is 1100-1250.... aluminum starts melting around 1250....

then you get things like this...

Old 02-16-2008, 08:31 PM

I have a boost guage cause some day I'll have a turbo... and I got the one that goes to 60 psi cause some day I'll install my cummins... [sm=gears.gif]

I agree with you 100% on those numbers being off the wall - I have installed pyrometers in about 8 other diesels I have owned, powerstrokes, cummins, another 6.2, and several ford IDI's. I always install the probe the same way in about the same place - and have never been one to push the vehicles past 1200*, even in short bursts. I could have gotten a little too high with the probe placement, and there could be some variance on the guage, but the pattern that the guage moves in seems perfect and it seems to read right on start up andsettling back toidle. Even if its 100-150* high, that's still too hot. I think these temperatures have alot to do with why you see alot of these on ebay with low miles and new motors... mine is 100% stock to my knowledge, and there is no way a stock vehicle should be configured in such a way that it can run that hot. We'll see what happens to those numbers as I start tinkering with it...

Old 02-22-2008, 05:02 AM

I did a write up on this install -

http://nvcustoms.com/h1_gauges

If you guys get a chance to take a look at it, I'd appreciate feedback - I'm delusional at the moment, that took way to long. To much detail on anything? Anything I could have went more into? Thanks.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Nice picture of the probe install.... now I know why you have the false numbers...

Old 02-26-2008, 10:33 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... the way I understand the significance of the engine EGT's is as follows: The guage allows you to monitor the temperatureof the air leaving the combustion chambers through the exhaust valves. The general rule of thumb is that you don't want to run the engine hard enough to push this air past 1250*, as that is the melting point of aluminum. The only aluminum parts in this motor that risk meltdown are the pistons. Therefore, if the probe is mounted anywhere in the exhaust system, it still shouldn't read past 1250* - the idea isn't to monitor whether or not your exhaust tube is going to melt, it is to protect the engine internals. In theory, the further down the exhaust you mount the probe, the reading you get is further distorted from what you are actually concerned about. Thats how I always heard it, anyways...

Old 03-25-2008, 11:38 PM

That is really high I didnt even think that was possible since these engines are so underpowered. I used to do tractor pulls and diesel drags and I would spike 1900-2200 then steady around 1350 with a twin turbo nitrous/water meth cummins 12 valve. I had 250k on a stock block and it was still running strong. Only mods to internals was camshafto ringed headand arp headstuds. Of course also running over 100psi of boost lol! That seems really high but then again your truck is naturally aspirated so you don't have that extra air from a turbo that keeps a diesel running cool.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:21 PM

I think it is just the N/A thing... I have talked to a few of my oilfield buddies since I started this post and they weren't suprised at all - they do a lot more work around N/A diesels than I do. I'm still real curious if anyone else has stuck a pyro in a n/a (or turbo, for that matter) H1 - Mine is still bone stock engine wise, Its not like I turned the fuel all the way up and started getting high readings. This is how its run since day 1, I'm just the first one to monitor it (on mine, anyway).

Old 03-31-2008, 07:33 PM

I will put one in mine, it is a turbo H1 and I happen to have a few pyrometers laying around. Its at the shop right now gettin some new brakes on the front. Next week I will post some results.

Quick Reply: Anyone else running a pyro?