PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

anyone else get stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Default anyone else get stuck

thanks feel little better, we dont normally get the kind of snow we got this week 3-5 feet. first time I got stuck I did make it about mile and a half in snow basically up to grill, didnt get stuck until I tried to make the last hill before my home. of course the last time I got it was in plowed snow not nearly as high but i think the ice may have gotten me there. the toyo tires mentioned on here by one of you guys, are they same size as stock?

Old 02-14-2010, 03:18 AM

another "just wow".............

Old 02-14-2010, 04:42 AM

If your running the stock tires, don't feel bad they suck in snow in my experience. I found that the all terrain tires are a nice upgrade to consider as far as snow handling. If your talking about fording through snow that's a different story. If you plan on doing some good mudding or something you will come into an issue with tire choice. Usually best tires for mud are worst for snow.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:49 AM

Hey 4DIGR, I'm still new to 4X4s or cars in general, can you explain what a "high pinion D44 front drive diff" is and how its advantages over any stock part?
Thanx!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by zefrum
Hey 4DIGR, I'm still new to 4X4s or cars in general, can you explain what a "high pinion D44 front drive diff" is and how its advantages over any stock part?
Thanx!
This will be the short version. First of all for most people this will not be an issue, but the strength of the stock front diff that is used in the H3 is questionable for those who 4wheel hard. For that reason I set out to build a front drive that was more up to the needs of the serious 4wheeling crowd.

What I used (Dana 44) is about twice the strength of the stock H3 (aluminum housing AAM 7.63) diff. It's advantages besides strength are.

1. Selection of gear ratios that match what is available for the rear diff. for those who would like to gear down. (There are no lower gears available for the H3 stock front) This is good if you run oversized tires and feel underpowered.
2. Selection of lockers that could be used that are not available for the stock H3.

Check this out for an in depth discussion of the topic.
http://www.hummerxclub.com/forum/sea...aser&start=135

Last edited by 4DIGR; 02-15-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by mr300
thanks feel little better, we dont normally get the kind of snow we got this week 3-5 feet. first time I got stuck I did make it about mile and a half in snow basically up to grill, didnt get stuck until I tried to make the last hill before my home. of course the last time I got it was in plowed snow not nearly as high but i think the ice may have gotten me there. the toyo tires mentioned on here by one of you guys, are they same size as stock?
I'm not really sure what your expectations are, but if you are truly driving in snow up to the grill I don't know what you think would happen. That's going to be over 2 feet of snow that you are pushing. Your truck is going to ride up over the snow and traction is going to be lost no matter what kind of tires you have. You also need to look at how much snow you're pushing. The weight of the snow you're trying to litterally push aside at that depth would be substantial.

Honestly, I've come to the conclusion that the car or truck you are driving in the snow is a very minor piece of the equation. A Jeep, a Hummer, an FJ or whatever all come down to the same basic principal in snow: 4 tires trying to maintain traction. Your tires are immensely more important than the vehicle in my opinion, so I wouldn't go too hard on the Hummer.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by White08H3
Nope, never been stuck. There are limits to any vehicle. I saw a raised (I mean RAISED) F150 in town get stuck in a couple inches of snow because the driver figured he could do anything and din't realize the ice underneath the snow spun and spun and spun his tires.

I have had trouble a couple times in regular 4, but if I shift to 4lock I have no problem. I have been through a couple of severe storms.
I have relocated to Montana and having driven in snow several inches to a foot deep, I find no differance between high and high lock. Do you think that the transfer case may not be engaging properly?

Old 02-15-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by HummDrumm
I have relocated to Montana and having driven in snow several inches to a foot deep, I find no differance between high and high lock. Do you think that the transfer case may not be engaging properly?
Possibly, it depends on the conditions I suppose. I was going up an incline to my house, pretty good one and noticed it was sliding. I backed down the hill a bit, put the 4lock on and it didn't slip at all.

I never tried low.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by HummDrumm
That is entirely possible if you have an 06 or early 07, the 4wheel lock shift fork was made out of plastic and alot of them have failed with varying symptoms. Go check out the Hummer X club for a very recent thread on that.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mr300
I live in mid-atlantic region, during thislast massive snow storm I got my h3 struck three times, is this truck not as capable as I thought or was the snow just that bad, anyone else get stuck?
Driver error??? What you think is bad, I might not even notice.

If you are running stock 32" tires, you already found out you have to lean on driving skill and experience, not 4 wheel drive.

Quick Reply: anyone else get stuck?