PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Anyone add the clear DRL lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Default RE: Anyone add the clear DRL lights?

I'm installling these in a day or two......pics soon after. The information provided by some of you will be very useful. thanks !

Old 07-19-2007, 06:59 AM

I have Friday off, so maybe I can get mine installed. My wife is tired of seeing them set on the kitchen table!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: D VADER

Does anyone know if the amber color is required by federal or state law??

Only a pair of illuminated bulbs is required, reguardless of color, heigth, and placement.

Some vehicles (new models, mind you) still don't have seperate lenses, and should burn the headlight if no extra marker is provided.

Also, some models run a white bulb, which satisfies the federal requirement (All Chevy trucks run a white bulb instead of ambers, as do many european cars).

Old 07-19-2007, 03:05 PM

On my way home from work, I will make a stop so I can purchase a set of parking/front turn light bulbs. I' going after the Sylavania SilverStar brand, Amber color (ITEM # 3157)when lit, but silvercolor when off. This way I can totally eliminate the yellow tone from showing through the clear lenses. "I know, pics would be appreciated"

Old 07-19-2007, 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: H3PR

On my way home from work, I will make a stop so I can purchase a set of parking/front turn light bulbs. I' going after the Sylavania SilverStar brand, Amber color (ITEM # 3157)when lit, but silvercolor when off. This way I can totally eliminate the yellow tone from showing through the clear lenses. "I know, pics would be appreciated"
See post #3 in this thread. It shows them on and off.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Crushem

Only a pair of illuminated bulbs is required, reguardless of color, heigth, and placement.

Some vehicles (new models, mind you) still don't have seperate lenses, and should burn the headlight if no extra marker is provided.

Also, some models run a white bulb, which satisfies the federal requirement (All Chevy trucks run a white bulb instead of ambers, as do many european cars).

Crushem-are you talking DRLs or turn signals? DRLs don't have to be amber but I believe turn signals do have to be amber in the front (and amber or red in the rear). From what I can tell, Chevy trucks currently have clear lenses for turn signals with amber bulbs. Since 06 H3s use their turn signals as DRLs then they will need to have amber DRLs in order to have compliant amber turn signals.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:42 PM

I have Friday off, so maybe I can get mine installed. My wife is tired of seeing them set on the kitchen table!

Let us know how it goes Bob..if you can, take some pictures while you go through the whole process..

Good luck.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: alrock

Crushem-are you talking DRLs or turn signals? DRLs don't have to be amber but I believe turn signals do have to be amber in the front (and amber or red in the rear). From what I can tell, Chevy trucks currently have clear lenses for turn signals with amber bulbs. Since 06 H3s use their turn signals as DRLs then they will need to have amber DRLs in order to have compliant amber turn signals.

You are absolutely correct.

I was just answering his question generally (post #6 and #9), not H3 specific, meaning that ambers are not required as DRL's. Ambers, however, are required by law for turn indicators. I should have been a bit more specific. My bad.

Next round is on me...

Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Let us know how it goes Bob..if you can, take some pictures while you go through the whole process..

Good luck.
I've got the driver's side done. The wheel really get in the way and I'm gonna remove it on the other side. The screws that hold the light housing are hard to get at. Two have to be removed by feel and they are on the top. Why didn't GM put those two on the bottom.[:@]

Yep, I'm taking pics Dennis.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:03 PM

A ratchet with an 8" extension made it much easier to remove those screws. 6mm head if I recall but I'm not positive.

Quick Reply: Anyone add the clear DRL lights?