PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Anyone add the clear DRL lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Default Anyone add the clear DRL lights?

I now have a set and have wondered how difficult it is to install them. Has anyone done this mod? What bulb did you use? I like the look and getting rid of the amber lens.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Default RE: Anyone add the clear DRL lights?

I asked the guy on ebay who sells these and told me that you have to remove the grille and front bumper to install these
Personally i think it makes the car look cheap (even though probably ill end up buying them )

Old 07-12-2007, 11:49 AM

I tink you have to remove the whell-well liner to do it and the grille, but not the Bumper..

Old 07-12-2007, 07:40 PM

I added them and I like the look. I'm not installing the smoked side markers, I'd rather have white/clear ones which don't appear to be available.

To put these in you have to undo the dozen or so connectors in the wheel well and lower the wheel well. From there you can access the bulb and the three screws that hold in the lens. To remove the lens you need to take off the front grill (six screws and then gently force it out in each side, held in with plastic connectors). It took me about 40 minutes on the first side, 20 minutes on the other side once I knew what I was doing.

You'll probably also want to replace the bulbs with Sylvania Silverstar so you have an amber bulb but it doesn't look that way when they are off. The bulbs are chromed and only look amber when lit.

Here are two pics, cuz wouldn't this post be worthless without pics? One is normal, one is lit (of course that's self evident).

[IMG]local://upfiles/2455/DAB0802B48D54CC1BCAA340AA05FAA63.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2455/86F27FEE7C8A48F5898CE755408BC3DC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-13-2007, 02:32 AM

I think they look SHARP!!!Name:  spak1.gif
Views: 65
Size:  2.2 KB

Old 07-13-2007, 07:06 AM

ORIGINAL: alrock

I added them and I like the look. I'm not installing the smoked side markers, I'd rather have white/clear ones which don't appear to be available.

To put these in you have to undo the dozen or so connectors in the wheel well and lower the wheel well. From there you can access the bulb and the three screws that hold in the lens. To remove the lens you need to take off the front grill (six screws and then gently force it out in each side, held in with plastic connectors). It took me about 40 minutes on the first side, 20 minutes on the other side once I knew what I was doing.

You'll probably also want to replace the bulbs with Sylvania Silverstar so you have an amber bulb but it doesn't look that way when they are off. The bulbs are chromed and only look amber when lit.
Thanks Alrock. That's a big help!![sm=smiley20.gif]

Is there a law requiring amber DRL bulbs? I'd prefer clear ones.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:05 PM

I assume there's a law requiring amber lights but I don't know. Having an 07 H3 my turn signals aren't used as DRLs so they aren't lit all day long, so I'm good with amber for their occasional use.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:20 AM

ORIGINAL: alrock

I assume there's a law requiring amber lights but I don't know. Having an 07 H3 my turn signals aren't used as DRLs so they aren't lit all day long, so I'm good with amber for their occasional use.
I have an '07 also. Stupid of me as I thought all the new cars had daytime amber running lights! I guess I need to check it out. Thanks again AlRock!!

Old 07-16-2007, 06:21 AM

Does anyone know if the amber color is required by federal or state law??

Old 07-16-2007, 11:58 AM

it looks like the Feds require amber. Okay, I got this from a tripod site but it's quoting the feds. http://fmvss108.tripod.com/fmvss108text.htm

Table I--Required Motor Vehicle Lighting Equipment Other Than Headlamps Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Trailers, and Buses, of 80 or More Inches Overall Width ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Applicable SAE standard or Multipurpose passenger recommended practice Item vehicles, trucks, and buses Trailers (See S5 for subreferenced SAE materials) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Taillamps ......................... 2 red...................... 2 red................. J585e, September 1977. Stoplamps.......................... 2 red......................&nbsp

Quick Reply: Anyone add the clear DRL lights?