PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Another Steering Stabilizer thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller
Mine looks to be the same size.
How in the hell did you get it to fit?
I spent an hour under there & there's not one usable angle that isn't blocked.
Did you hit it with some PB Blaster, it should be a 2 minute job, maybe get a bigger hammer

Old 06-22-2015, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by liveinxs
Did you hit it with some PB Blaster, it should be a 2 minute job, maybe get a bigger hammer
I can order some.
I hit it with some break cleaner twice, that's it.

I'm using a 4 lb hammer. You can't go bigger!
Like I said, there's no room to actually strike the butt of the pickle fork. That's what I can't figure out. How did ryaleon use it? There's no clearance, anywhere.

Also, snap-on doesn't make a pickle fork. They used to, but not anymore.
I can order a vintage one, which isn't a problem, but I'm sure which size to get.

It really shouldn't be this difficult...

Old 06-22-2015, 09:34 PM
Banned

I can order some.

Like I said, there's no room to actually strike the butt of the pickle fork. That's what I can't figure out. How did ryaleon use it? There's no clearance, anywhere.

I can order a vintage one, which isn't a problem, but I'm sure which size to get.

Brake cleaner, is NOT a lubricant, its a cleaner..

I don't know how he did it, but, i found zero issue in removing it, i am shocked that you are having trouble separating it from the centerlink, perhaps you are not angleing the tool, i found no issue with clearence...

You did remove the skid plate, i hope...

Old 06-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Banned

I can order some.

Snap-On still makes Pickle Folks, they just call them Ball Joint Separators now, heres the link..

https://store.snapon.com/Ball-Joint-...g-P635999.aspx

Old 06-22-2015, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by liveinxs
Brake cleaner, is NOT a lubricant, its a cleaner..

I don't know how he did it, but, i found zero issue in removing it, i am shocked that you are having trouble separating it from the centerlink, perhaps you are not angleing the tool, i found no issue with clearence...

You did remove the skid plate, i hope...
I came across this same issue on a jeep forum. Someone mentioned wacking the bowed out part of the centerlink to free the threaded bolt. Some say they had to cut out the stabilizer & drill out the bolt.

I have no clue why it's stuck as much as it is. I guess the vehicle has more wear & rusting than some. It has 110k miles on it. Could be worse I guess?

As for the skid plate, how would I even get pics of the stabilizer with it on? Come on now, that's just silly.

I'm ordering some BP blaster tonight, soaking the bolt, wrapping a BP soaked wrag around the bolt & leaving it overnight. I'll go from there.

Thanks for the link. I figured it would be called a pickle fork. I'll order that if I need it. So far, I don't see how there's enough clearance. When I go to soak the bolt, I'll wedge the fork in there & show you guys.... I still can wrap my head around how you guys are making these work on 08/09 models...

Old 06-22-2015, 11:08 PM

I went in from the front. At first it doesn't fit. But a little persuasion with the hammer and she slips right in.

Last edited by ryaleon; 06-22-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ryaleon
I went in from the front. At first it doesn't fit. But a little persuasion with the hammer and she slips right in.
Same here, 2 minute job....

Old 06-25-2015, 08:35 PM

Well, I hit it with BP Blaster about 8 hours ago & let it. Then reapplied.
Either the pickle fork is too large, or it'll have to be cut out. I'm tempted to try to bang it out, but I hate just pounding on anything with a hammer when there's a better way.

Name:  88U5xC8.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  256.7 KB
Name:  THbMvho.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  307.6 KB

Last edited by Synthetickiller; 06-25-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Banned

Well, I hit it with BP Blaster about 8 hours ago & let it. Then reapplied.
Either the pickle fork is too large, or it'll have to be cut out. I'm tempted to try to bang it out, but I hate just pounding on anything with a hammer when there's a better way.

At this point, i would recommend a professional, someone who has experience working on vehicles. ..

Old 06-26-2015, 03:54 PM

Have you tried turning it out? I mean why is the end of the bolt boxed? Maybe to put a wrench on it and back it out? Just throwing it out there.

Quick Reply: Another Steering Stabilizer thread