PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Another Steering Stabilizer thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 02:16 PM
Wink Another Steering Stabilizer thread

I know these come up from time to time.

My H2 seems to track whatever way uneven pavement goes to the point that I have to hold the steering wheel tight to prevent a ridiculous amount of wandering. I've also noticed that if I take a tight turn, everything feels stable, but when I straight out, the vehicle feels less stable. This could be another symptom, but I'm not sure. Either way, I need a new stabalizer.

Does anyone know off hand which stabilizers fit stock? I believe the Bilstein does, but that's not a brand I'd like to buy unless I have no other choice. I think the Ranch is not a stock replacement.

That leaves me with Skyjacker, Predator, Fabtech, Monroe for stock (I think they are all stock) & then possibly Fox / King (I am not happy w/ King's customer support at all right now btw).

I have no lift, 35s on 17x9s.

Opinions? What are you guys running?

Thanks. I'm a little overwhelmed with the choices & underwhelmed with the lack of reviews.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:21 AM
Banned

Like i previously posted, i did Bilstein shocks all around, totally resolved any problems of tires wandering around on the road..

Plus Bilstein has a lot of history behind them..

Heres a linkt the thread i posted..

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-around-35214/

Old 06-19-2015, 10:41 AM

The reason I said no Bilstein recommendations was due to my own experience. I've had 6 of 8 blow, within 10k to 15k miles in two vehicles. I just don't trust the brand & my history with them has been really, really bad, be it on a truck or performance car.

That's why I have a set of Kings on the front & a set on order for the rear.

I appreciate the help though. I hope you have better luck than me. I'm just burned on the brand & not impressed at all.

I guess I'll just keep looking.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:12 PM

Ended up going w/ the "lower end" 5000 series rancho. Seems to have more travel than the more 7000 series. Also had to buy the mounting kit.

Hoping it will work out. Strangely, there's just not a lot of info on other kits besides Bilstein.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:11 AM

Stupid question but what year is your H2? I have an 05 and was told I don't need a stabilizer since it's got rack and pinion. Sure enough I do have r&p. I thought all H2s were the same with the exception of the 08-09 and they were more up to date.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by mp51998
Stupid question but what year is your H2? I have an 05 and was told I don't need a stabilizer since it's got rack and pinion. Sure enough I do have r&p. I thought all H2s were the same with the exception of the 08-09 and they were more up to date.
I have an 09.

From what I've seen, there are more changes throughout the years & not just in the 08 & 09s. Trainling arms differ from 2003 to 2005 to 2006-2009. There's slight changes.

My H2 does have a steering stabalizer. Not sure if it's needed, but considering the wear on it, I'm replacing it. I also have larger tires than stock (305/60R20s were stock, & I'm running 35/12.5r17, so there's more weight).

If that doesn't clear up the issue, I'll look into the rack & pinion.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:38 PM

Thank you for your response. That clears things up. A little. I'll have to take a closer look when I get home.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:53 PM

As a recap, I ordered the racho 5407 stabalizer & the mounting kit.

Here's what comes w/ the stabalizer itself.

Here's what comes w/ the mounting bracket.

As you can see, the mounting hardware differs. The shock comes with a longer bolt that has a hole for the included cotterpin & a castle style nut to fit.

The mounting hardware itself seems extremely heavy duty. I'll have to compare it to what GM provides. Interestingly, there's no u bolts included. If they snap, I'll have to run out to get new ones... I am not pleased about this considering the mounting kit was almost the price of the stabalizer itself.

I'll be installing it this evening, hopefully.

Attached Thumbnails Another Steering Stabilizer thread-20150621_132812.jpg   Another Steering Stabilizer thread-20150621_132816.jpg   Another Steering Stabilizer thread-20150621_132822.jpg   Another Steering Stabilizer thread-20150621_133010.jpg   Another Steering Stabilizer thread-20150621_133015.jpg  

Old 06-21-2015, 08:03 PM

Well, that was a failure. Can't get it off. I'll clear up some stuff for a few 08/09 owners & hopefully get some feedback.

First, the mounting kit isn't necessary. Does anyone need one for an older model hummer?

Second, my steering stabilizer seems ok (has the same reistance extending the piston or compressing it). I'm not sure how much resistance I should have, so I still want to install it.

Here's some pics.

The arm of the shock mounting location:
Name:  UfDNrPh.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  348.0 KB

The piston side of the shock mounting location: Warning, dark, but this mounts to the frame.
Name:  GVP3e5d.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  250.6 KB
Name:  sCXZZLi.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  390.2 KB

Ok, picture time is over.
The bolt on the piston side easily comes off. You just need an 18mm wrench & 18mm socket to remove the bolt. Simple, easy.

The bolt on the arm side is impossible. I removed the nut & nothing. The bolt is welded to the stabilizer. In my case, it won't come out. Hit it with break cleaner & took a pry bar to it. Absolutely nothing worked, It won't budget & the piece it's mounted to began to slightly bend, so I let up.

The top of the bolt has a hexagonal shape, but I don't think it's used to remove the bolt/stabilizer.

Anyways, ideas for how to get this out w/o breaking anything?

Old 06-22-2015, 06:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller
Well, that was a failure. Can't get it off. I'll clear up some stuff for a few 08/09 owners & hopefully get some feedback.

First, the mounting kit isn't necessary. Does anyone need one for an older model hummer?

Second, my steering stabilizer seems ok (has the same reistance extending the piston or compressing it). I'm not sure how much resistance I should have, so I still want to install it.

Here's some pics.

The arm of the shock mounting location:

The piston side of the shock mounting location: Warning, dark, but this mounts to the frame.

Ok, picture time is over.
The bolt on the piston side easily comes off. You just need an 18mm wrench & 18mm socket to remove the bolt. Simple, easy.

The bolt on the arm side is impossible. I removed the nut & nothing. The bolt is welded to the stabilizer. In my case, it won't come out. Hit it with break cleaner & took a pry bar to it. Absolutely nothing worked, It won't budget & the piece it's mounted to began to slightly bend, so I let up.

The top of the bolt has a hexagonal shape, but I don't think it's used to remove the bolt/stabilizer.

Anyways, ideas for how to get this out w/o breaking anything?
Amateurs....lol

You need a "PICKLE FORK ", to remove the tapered bolt, from the Centerlink..

The right tools AND experience go a long way..

Get the tool, and it should come right out...

Quick Reply: Another Steering Stabilizer thread