PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Another radio/stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:28 AM
Default Another radio/stereo question

First, this is my first post on this forum so hello to all of you here.

I am a tech guy at heart and most of my interest will be with the drive-line of my 2008 H3 Alpha. I am a supporting tuner on a corvette forum (not selling anything here, just giving some bio info)and this engine is just another LS variation so I'm hoping I can keep it on the road for a long, long, long time. I'll play with the motor later with HPtuners tuning but in the mean time.....the radio...

If I use an adapter to keep the on-star, bells, ect, will that mean the sound of the main four spreakers will be relying on factory amps or is it the sub that has the only amp in the car? (I have the monsoon system and not so happy). Stated another way, does the radio supply the amplified sound to the speakers?

I want to use an aftermarket system but want to retain the Onstar feature but will give it up if needed to get the sound the wayI want it.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Default RE: Another radio/stereo question

You have an auxiliary amp with the OnStar package. You will need an adapter like the GMOS-04. This will provide the OnStar, chimes, and inout from your aftermarket stereo. The GMOS-04 also supplies the needed inputs for navigation systems (parking brake, reverse and speed sensor).

If you use the search feature on the forum, you will find many other entries on this subject.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Default RE: Another radio/stereo question

ORIGINAL: cbetts

You have an auxiliary amp with the OnStar package. You will need an adapter like the GMOS-04. This will provide the OnStar, chimes, and inout from your aftermarket stereo. The GMOS-04 also supplies the needed inputs for navigation systems (parking brake, reverse and speed sensor).

If you use the search feature on the forum, you will find many other entries on this subject.
Thanks for the reply.

As I stated in my post I am aware of the adapter and that there is an amp but I was asking if the new radio's sound will be channeled through that amp used for the monsoon system or if the radio's new outputs power the speakers. It appears, since the Metra on-star adapter has rca's that the sound will be through the car's amps and not the radio's.

I tried the search feature and none of the subjects answered this.