PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Another head job at the dealer!! over $4000!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Default Another head job at the dealer!! over $4000!!

So I brought my 06 H3 to the dealer yesterday... for my heads... typical misfire check engine problems so I knew my heads must be gone.

Dealer checks and sure enough they need replacing. My truck has 59k Miles on it. They said there is no more powertrain warranty left, ended in 2009. It is a U.S. truck (I live in Canada) but they said out of 'good will', they will cover the parts ($3600) and I pay labor (6.5 hrs approx $650+tx)

I am not sure what to do... I have heard several members here get it all paid... with much more miles than that.

What did you guys say or do... or who did you speak to or threaten? LOL
I don't feel I should have to pay anything. They already charged me $115 to check the heads!

Old 01-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

I would say.... first off there is only one head, no plural here, it is an inline Atlas, not a V anything.

Next, is that Canadian, or USD?

After that I would tell you you can buy the entire motor for less than $3600.00 USD (used with less than 1000 miles - there are pleanty on craigs and ebay with less than 100). The head itself is about 1200, each valve about 20, each spring about 10, rockers and push rods about 6 each, and lifters are about 20, the rest you can re use unless it is trashed when you open it up. Their labor price is about the only thing that is reasonable.

Go to a repair shop and a different dealer and price it.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:23 AM

Ok you got me on the 'heads'. lol I do realize there is only one.
I never really had anything less than a 6 cylinder so always referred to it as heads plural.
But your right, there is only one in this case. Thanks for pointing it out

I still think their labor is a little hefty. $100 an hour...

And in case you missed this... they agreed to pay for all the parts.
They want me to pay the $650 labor... And that is Canadian dollars - or 654.24 USD... since you asked

Lastly, I am always very skeptical of used engines for sale... claiming low or almost no mileage.

Last edited by wiseguy_75; 01-07-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

My good for catching you on the plural thing My bad on not being clear on WTH I was trying to say.

What I was trying to point out is they are not paying anywhere near $3600 for the entire preassembled cylinder head with valve and springs, clips, rockers, etc..... but, $600 ain't bad to get the whole thing fixed. $100/hour is steep, but in the big picture, not bad.

The other possibility is they are actually getting it covered by GM, and then padding thier pocket with cash from you?

Old 01-07-2011, 05:36 PM

OK, sorry I couldn't resist:

"Another head job at the dealer!! over $4000!!".

Your dealer uses some expensive call girls! :0

Reminds me of the time I took my car to the Lube Stop. They rotated my tires for me and when the woman worker was bringing it down from the lift she said, "Going down on one". In which I leaned my head out of the window and said, "Wow thats what I call customer service".

Old 01-07-2011, 10:09 PM

$650 isn't bad for the whole job. But the whole job before they agreed to pay for the parts was NUTS!

You should pay the whole bill in Loonies.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:25 PM

That's an awesome idea ...
Take that (as I slam down a bag with 650 loonies on the counter)!!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Default Cylinder Head

I Just took mine in with the dreaded Cylinder #5 misfire and was told it needs a new head. I am a second owner and is out of warranty by 2 years and it has 69,970 miles. I was told by the dealer the best they could do was do 50/50 goodwill. That wasn't good enough for me. I called the customer service number in the back of my manual and opened up a file with GM. It sat in the shop for a week and a half and I have gone back and forth with GM. I received the news that as long as the truck is within 70,000 miles they can do a special warranty circumstance. I am within 30 miles of 70K. I was also told by the dealer that even if GM does cover the job I will still have to pay 500-1000. I received the news today that GM will be covering my entire job and I will not have to pay a dime, this also includes the rental they have given me during this time. I will say that I was pretty angry with GM when I was told about this problem but they really stepped up and took care of the problem.

I will tell you that the one who yells the loudest will be taken care of. Just keep calling and make sure you reference the service request number they give you.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 AM

Congrats man!!

And thanks for the info, I will try that... I will get the number today and do the same!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:00 AM

Sorry, who gave you a service request number, the dealership where you brought the truck?... or do you mean when you called and opened a file with GM they gave you a service request number?

And when going back and forth with them... what key points do you think you said helped your case?
Basically, any advise what to say or not to say?

Thanks again

Last edited by wiseguy_75; 01-10-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Another head job at the dealer!! over $4000!!