PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Amp install help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 04:54 AM
Default Amp install help

Hey all wanting to install an amp and subs in my 06 h3. Can someone tell me where they are running their power and RCA wires. I figure probably under the door sills. If that's the case can someone tell me how to take them off som I don't break em. Oh and what's the best place to run the power wire through the firewall in the h3. Thanks for any info provided.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:51 PM

Bluenose...

I am in the same boat as you. I am planning to install a Pyle Kicker Box and a 400W X 2 channel amp to power it. So far I haven't found anything in this forum to suggest a good location for the amp behind the rear cargo panels. One guy had it professionally done and it looks like they cut out the back panel of his left rear storage area. Not cool.

So I have reisgned myself to mounting the amp right on the kicker box. As for a hole in the firewall to run the power lead through, I haven't found anything. There's got to be something there. I will probably run the power, rca cables, and trigger wire through either the lower door sill channel or above, through the headliner area. I haven't attempted any of this so I can't give you any pointer as of yet. I will howvever keep you posted on anything that I do and provide pictures when I can.

Regards,

Mike

Old 09-06-2011, 07:24 PM

I ran all my wires down the drivers side door sills and to the back. To get the sills up, simply get under them and lift up slow to pop them out (it's easy). The 12VDC, I followed the hood realease cable from inside under the dash to the gromet in the firewall, below it made a notch in the rubber and fed my 12VDC to the battery from there (this wasn't easy but can be done) and wire tied it neatly up to the battery.

As far as my amp, it fits perfect inside my left storage area (I don't have a huge amp). I found a rubber wire gromet and drilled a hole in the back of the storage compartment, slapped the gromet in. Loosely removed the cover and ran all my wires up into the compartment. If I ever remove the amp, you'll simply see a black gromet (if you look closely) that doesn't stand out at all. I have the speaker wires for my box just coming out from underneath the left rear plastic near the floor mat. If we want to put the dogs back there, we just pull the box out and push the speaker wires under the mat.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 PM

Thanks guys I ran my wires down the sills and will attach amp to box. Not hooked up yet cus im waiting on a dash kit for my Avic f900bt. Thanks again for the help

Old 09-20-2011, 05:11 PM

if you have an automatic, the clutch knockout is a good place to drill a hole for your power wire.
and yes, under the door sills is a good place to run the cables. Mr Fancy Pants has a good way of mounting the amp if you have the pocket. I had the monsoon factory sub so I took it out and mounted the amp behind that panel. The only thing that sucks is that I can't adjust the amp without taking off that whole side panel. Luckily I know how to set up the amp and haven't had to touch it.
Here's a pic of the power wire coming through the firewall at the clutch knockout. Not the greatest pic but hope it helps.
Amp install help-power-wire.jpg

Last edited by Hummphrey; 09-20-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Picture of power wire going through clutch knockout
Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 AM

I know this is an older thread but I just picked up an H3 so im searching out audio info.

The last SQ install I did I ran the 0ga power line down under the truck inside some flex conduit from Home Depot. Then used the 90 sweep at the end and drilled a hole. Once the hole is drilled you can insert the sweep and tighten the nut so it stays tight. Add a little silicone underneath the truck and it wont allow water inside the truck.

Just a suggestion that worked for me.