PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Amber Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Default Amber Turn Signals

Does anyone know why the automakers are going away from amber turn signals? Is it cost savings to not have to make a third color in the lens or is it having to have 3 bulbs?

I know in Europe they have them, and thenit started over here with the imports, and then the American autos started to have them, and now they seem to be going back to red [:'(]????

I really like the amber my self....Bummer[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 11-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Default RE: Amber Turn Signals

I could be wrong but i think it has more to do with styling...Alot of auto makers are looking what people are doing to there cars then try to make that a stock option...Ex the new escalades coming with 22inch wheels ... alot of people are changing the rear tail lights to the whole alteza red look...So like i said i could be wrong but i think it may have something to do with styling

Old 11-01-2007, 12:13 PM

As Heavy Hitter said, I think it's just a styling thing. If I recall correctly, amber lenses in the rear lights are required in Japan and Europe. In the US, they aren't.

Here's a little Wikipedia on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automot..._signal_colour
Turn signal colour Until the early 1960s, most front turn signals worldwide emitted white light and most rear turn signals emitted red. Amber front turn signals were voluntarily adopted by the auto industry in the USA for most vehicles beginning in the 1963 model year, though front turn signals were still permitted to emit white light until FMVSS 108 took effect for the 1968 model year, whereupon amber became the only permissible colour for front turn signals. Presently, almost all countries outside North America require that all front, side and rear turn signals produce amber light. In North America the rear signals may be amber or red. International proponents of amber rear signals say they are more easily discernible as turn signals, and US studies in the early 1990s demonstrated improvements in the speed and accuracy of following drivers' reaction to brake lamps when the turn signals were amber rather than red. US regulators and other proponents of red rear turn signals claim there is no proven lifesaving benefit to amber signals
[/align]

Old 11-01-2007, 03:58 PM

Here's what sucks about amber turn signals in the rear. If your element burns out in a bulb where the turn signal is also the brake light then you'll know it when you flip the lever and it goes tink, tink, really fast or doesn't tink at all. You then know your bulb is out and have no brake lights on that side. If you have a seperate light (amber) turn signal in the rearand the bulb in your brake light blows....tough luck, maybe that nice COP will tell you as he pulls you for the bulb being out. But look at the bright side....You still have a nice amber turn signal light :-)

Old 11-02-2007, 09:53 AM

Speaking of turn signals...how difficult is it to replace the bulb in the rear. My drivers side rear turn signal just died yesterday and I need to replace it. Also, is the Sylvania 3157LL the correct bulb?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:36 AM

Pretty easy to get the lens off... The lens cover is held on by a couple of screws and some tension clips. Unscrew the 2 screws and pull straight back on the lens assembly. Some clipshold the assembly ontighter than others, so it may take somegentle prying. Be somewhatcareful not to break the 'little fingers' that go into the clips.

2006 HUMMER H3

High & low beam headlamp
H13 (9008)
H13ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H13XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light

Parking light
3157LL

Front turn signal
3157LL

Rear turn signal
3157LL

Tail light
3157LL

Stop light
3157LL

High mount stop light
Assembly

Fog/Driving light

License plate
194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Back up light
3157LL

Front sidemarker
194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Map light

Dome light

Trunk/Cargo area
211-2
[/align][/align]

Old 11-03-2007, 10:41 AM

I like thetaillights red. It looks cleaner IMO.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:47 AM

Has anyone swapped out there lens for amber ones (e.g., the tail light assemblies for the non-US H3s)?

Old 11-04-2007, 10:23 AM

I added clear front turn signal lens to my H3

Old 11-04-2007, 11:26 AM

Looks good D Vader. Are those the ones from York, PA -- Dan -- on eBay?

I am thinking amber tail light assemblies like

Quick Reply: Amber Turn Signals