PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Aluminium wheels on 2003 H1 wagon CTIS

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Default Aluminium wheels on 2003 H1 wagon CTIS

Hello All,
The aluminum wheels developed cracks or fissures in the aluminum and was very distracting to look at and I was unable to get them out with buffing or anything. I had them replaced under warranty, but now the new aluminum wheels are doing same thing. Does anyone know what is causing this? I keep the H1 in garage and use it only as parade vehicle. Any ideas on what I can to to resolve this?

Old 07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Are these the factory 2 piece Hutchinson wheels? I have three H1s with those wheels and have never had the problem. Is a a true crack in the aluminum or a clear coat finish checking?

Old 07-28-2009, 06:10 PM

Good question it sounds like a factory flaw.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 AM

Well, I am not sure how to tell if it is a clear coat crack or not. How do I tell. ANd if it is a clear coat crack, how can I fix it. Is it possible to remove the clear coat and have it re-coated..???

Old 07-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Over time the clear coat finish will dull and crack. Most areas have companies that can strip and refinish the wheel at reasonable prices. I have not seen an actual wheel crack. Take it to one of the refinish shops and have them tell you if you can't tell.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:26 PM

The wheels are the 1 piece 1" Aluminum wheel. I think this is a clear coat checking or cracking but don't know. I realize this is a cosmetic thing, but I did pay a lot for it and I think the wheels should last longer then three years...(I had them replace these 1 piece wheels under my factory warranty) My warranty is now out so I am on my own.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:11 PM

I haven't seen the Hutchinson wheels [they are OEM for Hummer wheels, all types] crack, that being said, the polished/clear coated aluminum can get spider web looking cracks in the clear coat.

Clear coated aluminum wheels need to be cleaned with compatible cleaning products, most wheel cleaners will strip and weaken the clear coat of aluminum wheels, so you have to read the fine print to ensure it's compatible with clear coated OEM alloy wheels and not chrome.

You really have to look, I went to a local auto store and it took a few minutes before I found a cleaning product that was compatible with alloy clear coated wheels, most arent:

I use this product, along with a teflon spray for tires.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G9524

Heres an old set of wheels that had the issue, they were the first generation 1 piece alloy wheels: (It may be hard to see , but I can take a close up picture later if I get time)

It's a cosmetics issue and not a safety issue. Truckers bump into this and they'll just get the clear coat buffed off and polish the wheels to a mirror shine. Or you can powdercoat the wheels and forget about it.

If its a actual structural crack, than you may want to contact http://www.hutchinsoninc.com/

They may or may not help you, but if you write a nice letter you may get an engineer who may want to look at your wheel.

Last edited by BigKofJustice; 07-30-2009 at 01:13 PM.