PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Alpha Steering Shaft Issue just got real interesting!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Default Alpha Steering Shaft Issue just got real interesting!

Ok, and now for the rest of the story! (I know I sound like Paul Harvey)

Thanks to Rykid, I now know why I still have the clunk in my gas pedal.

My repair order stated the following:

E7700 Shaft, Steering Intermediate Replace
Part#15167588
Underneath that is says:
3417 Replaced loose and noisy upper steering shaft.

That made me question what was actually done to my vehicle, and why the clunk in the pedal was still there, and now I could feel it through the steering wheel. I just received the following message from Rykid:

RYKID:
wow this is actually kind of funny (well not for you but..) a tech came in and had me order an intermediate shaft for the same truck and i did. well i thought i did. i actually ordered what they (Hummer of South Portland) replaced. yes that is NOT the intermediate shaft. the one they replaced is above the intermediate. the one you need is a 15816599 and that IS the intermediate shaft. hope that helps i just went through the same thing. i can fax you pics if you need them.
So, now I need to know which part that is, and what it looks like. I opened my hood and took a pic of what I can see for steering parts. I've drawn a couple of arrows and questions on the pic.....I'm not sure if this upper steering part can be seen from under the hood, or if I have to pull my skid plate and look at it from the bottom. On the pic, you can see the knuckle....down below that the steering shaft enters a heat shield that looks like thick tin foil, and runs down the side of the engine. I can't see anything else from up above.
I need all the technical advice that anyone can give me. Looks like I will be getting dirty this weekend! (Guys please keep your minds out of the gutter!! LOL!) Also by doing this upper shaft, what would cause the loose condition? Doc Olds--this might be a question for you

I need to know what to look for and what to look at! I've replaced power steering pumps and stuff like that....but this is so different than what I'm used to working on.....I used to have a 1970 AAR Cuda.....that was easy to understand and work on.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3977/B510ED8CF03A4D2AAA93E130CF0BCEB3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Default RE: Alpha Steering Shaft Issue just got real interesting!

I wish I could help you but I don't have a clue but at least rykid came through like I told you he would. Keep us posted.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:21 PM

AlphaDogg,
One thing you could do is look under your hood and let me know if the knuckle with the screw is bent like mine.....Here is a pic.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3977/DB17AB1AC0B74C2E9FED0A1EF1823223.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Solarflare, If you are under warranty just take it back and tell them they didn't fix it yet. Tell them what you think happened and leave the rest up to those guys to figure out.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:03 AM

Solarflare,

Just looked atthe steering knuckle on mine, and it is not bent like yours - it is straight.

Kent
08 H3 ALPHA
White w/cashmere

Old 03-16-2008, 11:56 AM

Ok thanx! I thought that it was weird being bent. The dealership is over 2 hours one way......and I have brought it there, told them to fix it, and it comes back still broken or worse than it was. I don't have another dealer in the state...they are the only ones.
I'm heading down there probably this Weds. for a Hummer Happening event....they give away free stuff and have a catered dinner...sounds like fun. Luckily the service department isn't located at the Hummer dealership, otherwise I would kill the smart *** service manager. He is a know it all, and think a woman's place is in the home.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Brandi if you weren't 3000 miles away I would be happy to make a trip to the dealership with you. I did it with my secretary and things got straightened out real quick. Also had one of the attorney types that work for our company write a letter to the dealership. They wound up giving her a new car and taking hers back. Guess they thought they could jack with her because she was a women and didn't know much about cars.I listened to her service department stories for a couple of months and just told her to let me know when she made her next appointment.
I don't doubt that you can handle it but do you know anyone that can go down there with you and put this rat ba$tard in his place?

Old 03-16-2008, 04:03 PM

My mom will usually go with me, just to go for the ride and as a witness. Her mouth dropped that last time when we both walked in and he said "I'm just putting this in, but there is nothing wrong with your truck".....He was just a total loser! He just doesn't know who he is messing with!!!! I've been nice so far, but push my buttons, and I can be one mean @#%#%^. He's gonna wish he never met me pretty soon!

Old 03-16-2008, 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: solarflare

AlphaDogg,
One thing you could do is look under your hood and let me know if the knuckle with the screw is bent like mine.....Here is a pic.
Brandi,
Sorry, I've been away for a couple of days. As soon as I saw that picture even without looking at my truck I knew something was not right. I lookedunder my truck and my bolt is not bent or beat up like that. The mechanic that did that should be fired.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:50 PM

i wonder how hard it is to replace this bolt? Instead of driving two hours out of my way......Anyone know how hard it is to do, or if any special precautions should be taken???

Quick Reply: Alpha Steering Shaft Issue just got real interesting!