PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Alpha Exhaust... BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Default RE: Alpha Exhaust... BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

ORIGINAL: importkiller

that's not really true about resonators coming after the muffler.....ALL import cars that have the can muffler at the bumper have a resonator near the rear axle. Same thing on the old chevy beretta, there was a cat, resonator then can muffler at the bumper. Most cars with rear mounted mufflers have a forward mounted resonator...look at the link Doc gave for the I5 exhaust and you'll see a forward mounted resonator then the rear mounted muffler.
So I guess this was a figmant of my imagination on my recent 2007 Dodge. You can't say something is not really true because different MANUFACTURERS have DIFFERENT configurations. Not all Imports have that either my past VW Golf, VW Passat, Suzuki Sprint Didn't. I can seewhy some members get annoyed.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:08 PM

WOW...talk about taking chit too seriously...chill out bro. you notice how we were all having a nice discussion until you took things too seriously?and this is my fault....amazing.

you made it sound in your post that most resinators are post muffler...that is just not true. Sure I may have exagerated but nothing I said was meant to get into an arguement with you. There is really nothing to argue about..... there is a pre muffler resinator in the I5...that is a fact. Nothing to argue about

Old 02-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

The alpha has a set of maifold CATs way up front just like darn near every GM made now does for the early start up emissions concerns because they heat up quick. The second CATs are the ones you should be able to replace with high flows if you are making a system. The front ones are monitored. I would double check that the CATs in the pipe are not.

This thread was started to express disgust in a system attempted to be made with parts of an 02 Trans Am Magnaflow sytem/the muffler. Hardly tuned by Magnaflow for an 08 Alpha. So we cannot conclude the apples to oranges comparison is really justification for chopping up the stock system just yet. The Alpha will have systems MADE for it available soon, it is only February people.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: rhill20

I wish I had about2 grand laying around. Exhaust, hilljobs roof rack, PCMforless, Granetelli MAF. Oh yea, the atlas transfer case too. Guess I should wish for about 4 grand

Granetelli MAF....? No apps for the H3, yet? I bet they won't have one for the I5 because their snake oil claims won't work with the stock configuration MAF placement. A PCM tune can do the same stuff. [&o]

Old 02-10-2008, 02:28 PM

Maybe it was the "that's really not true" and "All" part that kinda set me off because of the few Brands you might have dealt with and if you notice I said "usually". I try to generalize becauseI know that not ALL manufacturers are the same and I haven't had experiance with all of them either. And yes I know the I5 has one before the muffler.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds
ORIGINAL: rhill20
I wish I had about2 grand laying around. Exhaust, hilljobs roof rack, PCMforless, Granetelli MAF. Oh yea, the atlas transfer case too. Guess I should wish for about 4 grand
Granetelli MAF....? No apps for the H3, yet? I bet they won't have one for the I5 because their snake oil claims won't work with the stock configuration MAF placement. A PCM tune can do the same stuff. [&o]
Thanks Doc, wasn't aware that they were "snake oil". There are so many out there that are, kind of why I mention these things in passing hoping that someone will say something. So the PCM tune will do the same?

Old 02-10-2008, 02:39 PM

Well I had gone out to the garage to make room for my Alpha so I could get in out of the weather for the purpose of taking some pictures of the exhaust system to post but now I'm more confused then ever! You guys are arguing about mufflers &resinators on the Trans Ams, Mustangs, Dodge Trucks, imports, VW Golf, VW Passat, Suzuki. All I wanted to know about was the friggin' H3 Alpha. I'm not sure I want to get involved. Sorry but I think I'll sit this one out.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:45 PM

Jet has a Hi-flow MAS for GM 5.3. I do know the MAC CAI has a replacement 72.5mm MAS replacing the stock one on the I5 but I think that is the same size as the stock one. Why you want to put an 02 TransAm muffler on a Alpha seems usless to me.

Only 2 of us are arguing, and I am done with that as well. I am just noting that there are many exhaust configurations and basing our analysis on what has been said and reference past experiance on the given.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: alphadogg

Well I had gone out to the garage to make room for my Alpha so I could get in out of the weather for the purpose of taking some pictures of the exhaust system to post but now I'm more confused then ever! You guys are arguing about mufflers &resinators on the Trans Ams, Mustangs, Dodge Trucks, imports, VW Golf, VW Passat, Suzuki. All I wanted to know about was the friggin' H3 Alpha. I'm not sure I want to get involved. Sorry but I think I'll sit this one out.
seriously, if that little arguement is enough to keep you out of the discussion then your not long for this site. There are always gonna be disagreements...that's all that was. I have no hard feeling and I'm sure the gunny doesn't either....good lord, it was just a little arguement.

There is nothing to be confused about...the I5 has a cat in the exhaust manifold that are monitored, it has a cat after the manifold collectors, under the passenger seat area...then it has a resonator, then has the rear mounted muffler. I assume the alpha is the same as GM runs this setup alot of thier trucks. So the alpha would have two manifold cats, then an inline cat then a resonator then the rear mounted muffler. A picture would ice what kind of system it really does have though.

now post pictures of the exhaust.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:30 PM

I agree, if you want our advice we can't help by guessing.

Quick Reply: Alpha Exhaust... BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!