PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Alas, 'tis better to have loved and lost...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Default Alas, 'tis better to have loved and lost...

Okay, so by now I've had enough beer to allow me to make this post. The short version: All that work ended in a scrapped project.

The long story short is this: I built the outside (visible side) of the enclosure first. I thought you could do either and then mate them together. That was a HUGE mistake on my part. I molded the outside part, then started working on the inside...and today when I went to mate them together, I found that I had actually built the enclosure TOO BIG and it would interfere with the back seat latching into position (and not close, either...I mean I messed it up by probably 4 or 5 inches). The long story short is that after all that work, 3 cans of resin, countless paintbrushes AND hours...I decided to throw in the towel.

However, in the "good news" department: today I bought a table saw and in no time built a small box and amplifier rack. I have it drying now (glued first, screw next), but it all fits together and I LOVE the new saw ($99 at Lowes!). This is my interim enclosure to get everything in...today I did get all my seperates installed which was a major coup. If anybody needs help taking their doors apart-I'm your guy as I took many many pictures.

Tomorrow I will run the power and ground, 3 sets of RCAs and actually mount everything. I have not given up on the fiberglass plan...just have pushed it back a bit. I have no regrets except that I have shortened the lives of my wife, myself, and our dogs by virtue of the huge amount of resin-fumes eminating from our basement. I suspect the coming days and weeks will help that subside though.

So, all is not lost in any way...and hopefully tomorrow I have SOUND!!!

Tomorrow I'll post updated pics and info...lots to share.

Mike

Old 01-19-2008, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Alas, 'tis better to have loved and lost...

More than one way to skin a cat. Sounds like you are close. Post pics when you are done.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:26 AM

"To boldly go........"

For the record, I really appreciate you sharing your project. Sorry the first effort didn't work out
quite like you planned, but as long as you learned from it, there was value to be had.

Some day when you have some time, you ought to do a write-up with pics on the door/cargo panel removal.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:33 AM

If at 1st you don't succeed.....[sm=icon_blah.gif]

Good Luck!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:08 AM

Keep trying though...

Good luck!
Drew

Old 01-19-2008, 05:41 PM

[:@] Thanks alot guys. As it turns out I think it will be just fine, anyway. I did take a TON of pictures and will get a write-up together on most of the disassembly. On the one hand, I feel like I have burned my long-weekend...but on the other, I have learned much and will proceed a little differently next time. To bring you up to speed, I now have everything "technically" IN the truck. However, as it got dark tonight and I was still wiring...I hit the power switch and the amps didn't come on. I reran the remote-turn-on-lead but that didn't work, and I KNOW my power wire is more than good (one solid piece, straight off the battery and 4 gauge going into a gold distribution block), so I have to think the issue is with my ground. I tried to ground to the cargo tie-down hooks to try everthing...my bet is that they are suspended in plastic or rubber mounts or somehow are not grounded properly.

Tonight is "date night" with my wife...as she has been VERY patient with me so I gave in and threw in the towel around 6pm. As it happens it's probably about 20 degrees outside, too...and I had all the junk all over the place so I couldn't bring it inside. Ah, the tough part about only having a 1-car garage!

Anyway, the cabinet I built actually fits very nicely and frankly makes an attractive alternative to what I was attempting to do in the first place. I built it out of 5/8" particle board (would have gone with 3/4", but when I bought it I thought I was just building an amp rack). Anyway, I used my hip new table saw to design it with a step in it...I'll post a seperate post so you can see it and I'll describe it there.

Hopefully by noon tomorrow I'm disturbing the neighborhood!

Thanks for all the well-wishes...I really appreciate it and appreciate having a forum to post the experience!

Old 01-20-2008, 07:45 AM

I'm using the cargo hook hole inside for a ground works fine...remove any paint on body and bolt.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:20 PM

That is where I'm moving my ground back to-I temporarily have it on the latch that secures my seat in it's upright position (still have the interior panel on the driver's side out).