PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Air Suspension problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 05:16 PM
GJK
Default Air Suspension problem...

Evening all.

My H2 has been in the garage for the last 2 weeks getting a new starter motor and starter switch fitted. When I come to pick the H2 up, the rear ride height has decreased. Its currently sitting about 4 inches off the tires.

How can I get the H2 to level out?

Old 03-04-2013, 12:38 AM

Remove bags install coils

Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 AM

Jack up the rear end and let it run for a few minutes to get some air into the system. Spray the Air Springs and lines with a mixture of dish soap and water. look for bubbles. most likely the leaks will be coming from the air springs themselves. You should be able to pick them up from the chevy dealer. they should cost less then 200 for the pair. I paid (165) if i remember correctly. They are very easy to replace if your mechanically inclined, otherwise just take them to a local shop. they should be able to replace them in less than 30 minutes for minimal charge.

Don't let this go, fix it right away. If you wait and your compressor burns out from running all the time it will get very expensive because the compressor costs upwards of 2k.

Coils are an option if you burn out your compressor but you will lose your leveling system for the rear. If you tow or want the air lift for the rear while four wheeling stick with the air system.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 PM

Just put in springs! You can do it yourself for $170 and there is a YouTube video showing how to...

Hummer H2 Rear Suspension Air Bag to Coil Spring Conversion Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 03-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Default Air Suspension

If you do have a leak and like me, enjoy the ride of the air suspension, you can get replacement bladders. I bought mine from these guys: HUMMER H2 Air Suspension Parts & Conversion Kits

Kind of pricey, but a pretty easy repair if you have a good floor jack.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:40 PM

Now if you had a leak in the system, wouldn't my H2 be sitting lower each morning? I have a 2008 and when I came out Sunday morning, I just got in without noticing the ride height. As soon as I started driving something was obviously wrong, bouncy rear suspension and all my mirrors looking back towards the ground. I got out and looked and saw that there was only a few inches of room between my 38" tires and the fender. So I got in my low-rider and assumed a bag had cracked or there was a leak in the system. By the time I got to my destination and parked, I got out and it was back to the standard ride height and two days later it hasn't changed. Is there a blow-off valve or something that may have triggered? I would think if there was a leak I would come out to a low-rider each morning as it sits overnight, but so far it just appears to be some malfunction. I was going to mention it to my mechanic the next time I brought it in for service, but after reading this, I don't want to risk burning out the compressor.

Thanks,
Tony

Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM

hit the extended hight button so it rises to the max. Get your soapy waterbottle and spray the heck out of it, incl the compressor and the lines.
See if anything leaks

Old 05-01-2013, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by losthorn
If you do have a leak and like me, enjoy the ride of the air suspension, you can get replacement bladders. I bought mine from these guys: HUMMER H2 Air Suspension Parts & Conversion Kits

Kind of pricey, but a pretty easy repair if you have a good floor jack.

Just had this same problem with mine. Wife called me up saying that the back end looked like a low rider and wanted to know if I was going to be buying some "dubs" for it.

I got the hint so i'm looking for repair ideas. I tow a camper and really liked the factory air suspension, so i'd really like to stay with it. That and the on-board compressor is really nice for filling up the kids bikes and my dirt-bike out in the woods or field.

Thank you for the link lost-horn. I will go with the shock-bladder kit in your link.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Default Found the problem

Just to close the loop on my issue. I continued to drive for a while since my issue seemed intermittent. I could let me H2 sit for a week as I often do during the week and it would not lose any air/height, then it was hit or miss while driving. A few weeks back, I would actually lose ride height while driving which was new, but if I hit the ride height to raise it an inch, I would be fine. I did the ride height, got a spray bottle and sprayed everything and found nothing. I took it to a friend so I could use his floor jack, lifted it up so the suspension was at full extension and the issue was obvious. I could see the cracks along each of the air bags when fully extended, when I sprayed the soapy water, it was like a bubble machine. I plan on replacing both bags, and it sounds like I should do the shocks while I'm at it since I have 75k miles. I still find it odd that I came out this morning and the ride height has not changed. Guessing the bag itself is folded over the cracks so it's keeping the air in and it only shifts when driving and that is when the air must be seeping out.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:52 PM

When mine went bad it did the same thing. it was intermittent. very strange but the bag seemed to seal itself until it was extended a little higher than normal. then it leaked like a sieve (sic?). just slapped a pair of new bags in it. that was about four years ago. compressor still runs fine.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension problem...