PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

air intakes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Default RE: air intakes worth it?

Speaking of the Air Box....Is the 06 box the same as the 07 or 08 box? I would assume that since the 07 has a bigger engine that the air intake would be a little bigger. Right or wrong?

Old 11-21-2007, 04:07 PM

I put on the fullk&n cai, i get better mpg and i can feel more power

Old 11-21-2007, 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: RealJeep

Speaking of the Air Box....Is the 06 box the same as the 07 or 08 box? I would assume that since the 07 has a bigger engine that the air intake would be a little bigger. Right or wrong?
I belive the '07-'08 intake is different due to new EGR or idle-valve plumbing rather than the displacement increase.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Brodie

Hello Gents,

Are air intakes worth it on these vehicles or would a drop-in K&N filter do just fine? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

An ECM reflash with custom enginetune is supposed to provide the most improvement for the dollar. Many people have also done cia, exhaust, and ECM tune and have reported very noticable drivability gains. Don't forget to tell the engine tuner that you have cai and exhaust if you do the tune.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:34 PM

the 08 takes a square filter

Old 11-22-2007, 01:38 AM

Any change to your stock intake is an improvement, I have read and dealt with this argument forever. your Paper filter is designed to be restrictive in order to trap dirt. I read some where that the oil type cone filters are not good for the Hummer because the oil contaminates the sensors, i.e. MAF. The GM performance on is an AEM dry filter. The Resonator Box serves as two functions, one to reduce throttle/accelration noise andstores/maintains a volume off air to prevent that "Punch it" lag you might feel when you change out the box for the direct tube route.S&B filter sighthas a cool CFM calculator, it tell you the cfm flow per your Cu in to rpm rate so you can tune to the right size filter so you don't restrict your engine. As far as TB Spacers, the only one that I think is worth anything isfrom Hamburger Performance. And the final thought is It is all about what YOU want.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:26 AM

Oil is only a problem if you over apply it to the filter. If done properly it will never affect your MAF.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

My MAF is clean as a whistle! Gunny has a point, there has been many a knuckhead to over oil their filter after cleaning and crud up the MAF. Really though, if you follow the K&N recharger pack (cleaning kit) instructions, and use common sense, my kids could do it.

There is also another purpose to the resonator box. It is to warm the intake charge in conditions of extreme cold, such as continuousnear zero F and below. GM built these things for service anywhere their off road capacity may be called upon for use. I leave mine on for the worst of the MI winter weather, although I acknowledge that it hardly could be called conditions of extreme cold.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Brodie

Hello Gents,

Are air intakes worth it on these vehicles or would a drop-in K&N filter do just fine? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I see you have a SVT Cobra, have you modified it with an intake? If you did, could you tell the difference? If you did it should have answered your question. Whether you have a Honda Rice Burner or 440 Hemi more air more = power to a point. You have to consider this vehicle and its purpose. It weighs a bunch so the I5 is stressed, Low gearing, but GM put a hefty Tranny in it. But the biggest question is again "What do you Like and want this Vehicle to do" then it doesn't matter, You like it....

Old 11-24-2007, 10:29 AM

Hello, Yes I have a Cobra but it's a totally different animal when you're dealing with a supercharged vehicle vice a normal aspirated motor. When I swapped the intake on my Cobra it netted 37rwhp on the dyno. The exhaust mufflers were also very restrictive from the factory. A CAI and Catback on a 03-04 Cobra was good for 50-60rwhp all day long on the stock supercharger boost level (8.5 psi).

Quick Reply: air intakes worth it?