PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

air intake system mod in 2010 h3 l5

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Question air intake system mod in 2010 h3 l5

got an h3 3.7 tired of slow acceleration so decided to put in air intake system got the 63 series k&n but a little bit sluggish so decided to modify it by adding the 57 series tube and took out the air resonator and also added the jet throttle body spacer and for the air filter the new black hawk series filter thanks to k&n customer service they were so helpful in trying to cross reference the parts for me...im so satisfied with the result...but I have a concern about my setup...if I try to have my h3 serviced at a dealership will they deny my warranty cause of the modification that I made...pls can someone share a little wisdom on my concern...

Old 10-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

MOVED. Read before you post: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...section-19461/

Throttle Body spacers do nothing except remove loot from your wallet. Google Search Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, your answer is no. First the "dealer" is not the supplier of your warranty, GM is, so NOBODY at the dealership can void anything.

“The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”

“The FTC’s reference to aftermarket parts is equally applicable to specialty parts,” said Russ Deane, SEMA’s General Counsel. “Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the warranty cannot be conditioned to a specific brand of parts, services or vehicle modifications unless those parts or services are provided free of charge.”

The alert notes that a consumer has the right to patronize independent retail stores and repair shops for parts and service without fear of voiding the new car warranty. The dealer/vehicle manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty repair but they must demonstrate that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:15 AM

curious,
tired of slow acceleration so decided to put in air intake
are you saying that when you floor the gas the h3 is not fast enough?
or do you want it to go fast with less push on the gas ?

I have never floored my h3 3.7,never had to

Old 10-14-2013, 10:28 AM

Curious I meant that when you step on the pedal it feels like it still has more to give but restrict itself let me put it this way h3 is a student who always gets into trouble at school and now is on a final warning that if he didn't behave he'll be kicked out of school so he tries to calms himself by doing this job/errand and being bad dis giiiitries to be a good citizen by accepting the norm...so I decided to give it a Lillie spark that sometimes too good is boring sfcggggb

Old 10-14-2013, 10:29 AM

On most non high-performance vehicles made today, you need to add both air and fuel to actually enhance performance to any perceptual degree.

Adding a high-flow intake to an otherwise stock setup usually adds an auditory enhancement and nothing more.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:57 AM

Doc old thanks for clarifying that issue about warranty...but I believe that it depends on the spacer that u use tried air raid was disappointed on the result instead of increasing it it lessen the performance output returned it and got jet tBSto see if it will perform as to item description it's a noticeable big difference bet ween air raid and jet the jet spacer won't disappoint specially with conjunction with my modified k&nf air intake systemi just hope that k&n will fabricate or make some made to order 57 series tubes that will be compatible with 08-2010massair sensorsystemdue to different mounting...but man believe me compared to 63series system I can say my custom system will give you an additional 10 to 15 hp increase on top of 63 series output...it only gives you the growl if you push it past3000rpm so basically compared to stock system less noise in normal driving mode but announces it's presence when u want it to get noticed now experienced Camaro like acceleration when you push the metal (the v6 stock output)...together with my hellwig blielstein and timbren upgrades and a little bit extra....I love the second look that car drivers throw at me when I pass them on corners with ease without the SUV feel but rather with a stage 2 sports tuned dampeners....

Old 10-14-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
On most non high-performance vehicles made today, you need to add both air and fuel to actually enhance performance to any perceptual degree.

Adding a high-flow intake to an otherwise stock setup usually adds an auditory enhancement and nothing more.
We'll as I say it's better to try it for myself rather than sit on my *** and think if it really gives a little improvement or it's just a placebo effect...I don't sugar coat I just share what I felt was the difference since it's always being debated on car and truck forums if it really have a difference and if it's really a a dramatic one or just a hype but one thing for sure since I installed it whenever I needed that extra power it delivers minus the gas gauge needle going down fast it just not gives you performance but fuel economy as Welles far as I had observed...

Old 10-14-2013, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Topic: Throttle Body Spacer Search and ye shall find... https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...yth-over-5512/

If the manufacturer of a TB Spacer admits you cannot measure any improvement, you can bet there is no improvement. Like I said in that old thread, if spacers ever did anything, it was back in the day of TB injection where the TB actually controlled both air and fuel volumes (ie. throttle body fuel injection rather than direct port injection). Current throttle bodies are an air meter.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:11 PM

PCM programming and changing shift points is best performance for $199 you can get

Old 10-14-2013, 01:13 PM

PCMofNC.com is the best bang for the buck on an I5. Keep the K&N and ditch the usless TB spacer. Don't forget to tell them what mods you have already done to your rig so they can tune it for the best overall performance and mileage.

Hummer H3 Mail Order Tune

Since it is a 2010 and you still may have drivetrain warranty (5/100K) and Bumper to Bumper (4/50K) left I would opt for their complete unit and keep your stock one for swaps when you go in for warranty wrok. It is a more $ but is saves the headache of the dealer squalking about a tune. Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: air intake system mod in 2010 h3 l5