PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Aftermarket Amplifier Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Default Aftermarket Amplifier Installation

I tried to search on the forum for this answer and hope I am not repeating some age old question.

Ok so I am trying to locate the correct location to tap into an ignition wire for my amp (AKA blue wire - power wire). I had it hooked up to the power wire on my radio but that is a constant "hot" wire because my amp won’t turn off.

Also the amp is installed under my seat and I was curious where yall are putting your ground wire. I used the bolt on my seat but it’s not the greatest ground source.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 PM

I am about to embark on the same adventure by installing an after-market amp to the factory non-monsoon system. What I have done on a past factory install was to buy a Bussman ATM Fuse Tap (it plugs into a fuse holder when the fuse is removed inside the fuse box and has two fuse locations on it. One for the original fused circuit and one for the add on amp remote wire circuit). Here is the link, this is the install on my previous Pontiac Solstice: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...mp-pics-52029/
These can be purchased at any automotive store in the fuse section. Using the windshield wiper fuse location and adding one of these taps, you now have a safe way of fusing as well as adding an amp turn on for which will only be active when the key is in the ignition as well as keep the factory wiper circuit fused at the same time. When I finally get around to my install, I will do a complete write up with pictures for all to get ideas from. I hope that this helps.

Last edited by OffRoader09; 02-10-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 AM

Thought mine was a bose system. thumps like crazy and crystal sound... no need to replace amp here..

or am I just old?

Old 02-26-2010, 11:52 PM

I had a shop install mine but I had the amp installed behind the rear left cargo compartment where the premium sound system has its sub and amp installed from factory. Here is a picture of it, I also have other pictures of what I had installed under my stereo upgrade album.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:36 AM

There is a big difference between the stock and upgraded stereo. And at least for '08, it was a Monsoon, not Bose.

The Fuse Tap looks like a good idea, but will it fit in the H3 fuse box?

As for a ground source, I'm not sure there are a lot of good options unless you want to run a longer ground wire.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 PM

Use a multimeter to check each wire on the back of the head unit.It will show 12 volts with the key on and nothing with the key off.The speaker wires should show nothing regardless because the are not putting out a DC current.As for amp location depending on size and brand of amp and how hard you push it this may not be the best location.The air flow is very limited under the seat and the amp will not cool properly.Which can cause premature failure to the amp,thermal cutoff,and possible fire (I have seen and done all of these in past).For the question on the ground first use the same size ground wire as your power wire.It needs to be as short as possible to avoid as much resistance as possible.The correct way to install your ground is to remove the seat and cutaway a small piece of carpet with a razor,remove the paint from the area and use a self tapping screw and a star washer to get a good solid ground. Hope that helps if you have any more questions just shoot me a line.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:52 PM

Hey Tony,

What is it we're looking at here? Is this the edge of the amp you had installed peeking through a cut out in the back of the left rear cargo compartment?

I am going to try to install a Sterling 500W / Channel amp to drive my kicker box, in that same area. Any advice?

Regards,

Mike

Old 03-20-2012, 08:03 AM

I just did a kicker zx700.1 in the right side storage box with a terminal mount. I was able to steal signals from the monsoon sub and convert them to low level. Super stealthy.