PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

After driving, plastic burning smell near passenger rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Default After driving, plastic burning smell near passenger rear

After driving short or long distances, we smell a weird like plastic burning smell near the rear of the passenger rear tire. Anyone else experience this at all and if so what was it? I've looked all under the vehicle and see nothing lodged up there like a plastic bag or anything. We plan to take it to the dealer but was curious if others have experienced anything like it.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:37 PM

i've actually been smelling something near the rear passenger tire as well. it kind of smells like hot brake dust . which is what i chalked it up to. im interested to hear what the dealer has to say though.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:24 PM

I did some more research about this online today and saw that some people that had the same issue said it was only noticed when on slippery roads with salt. With makes sense because I never smelled it during the fall. Only since the salt has been on the road?

I'm hoping others on here chime in before I take her in because I hate to waste anymore time at the stealership.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:19 AM

i did notice the smell after i came down the mountain on snowy/icy roads.
im gonna sic my buddys nose on it next time we drive up mt. hood...he sniffed out my cracked radiator...hahaha.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:39 AM

This is normal, has to do with some reaction with something that is in the salt.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 AM

I always notice the smell too whenever parking the truck after about a 15 minute drive on local roads but regardless of season. My guess is that it may have something to do with the rubber exhaust hangers baking off some chemical at a certain temperature.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 PM

What I smell seems more like rubber to me. I noticed it around the driver side rear on mine, but I wasn't trying to sniff it out. Only started with the cold weather, or atleast thats when I noticed.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Banned
Default its the cat!!

see my other post,

catalitic converter!!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Banned
Default copied here

ive read this off and on and never got the connection.

a few times i smelled a plastic type smell and wondered if it was a hot wire,fan resistors,???

today i reached in and started the engine and closed the door, spent 10 min cleaning snow,and i smell the smell,,,,,

ITS GOT TO BE THE ,,,CAT,,,!! I NEVER SMELL THAT OLD EGG SMELL! LIKE THE OLD CATS.

it must be a new design catalytic converter!!

thats my theory and i think its a good one

Last edited by drtom; 01-13-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:23 PM

We have noticed the same smell. Only been happening the last couple of months and it is winter here in Montana. Hmmmm....

Quick Reply: After driving, plastic burning smell near passenger rear