PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Advise please. Tires rub the wheel wells. Help!,,,

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 02:47 PM
Default Advise please. Tires rub the wheel wells. Help!,,,

I have a hummer h2. And took out the air bags and installed springs in the back. So the back looks as if is raised 3-4 inches. So I changed my tires and rims to 13.5 wide rim and 37 inch height mud grappler tires, and when I turn the wheels the tires rub the wheel wells. So I installed 2 1/2 inch torsion keys, and left my tire pressure to 58lbs per pressure. About a few summer months passed and the tires are rubbing again, so I had to lower tire pressure to 45lbs per pressure, and it still rubs, I don't want to spend thousands for a lift kit...

Can torsion keys kind of like get loose or something? Causing the front end to drop some?

Old 08-04-2015, 02:52 PM

Can the screws loosen that tighten the torsion keys? I noticed when it was installed that it was just two screws....
Is there maintenance?
That needs to be done, like tighten the screws every so often, I know the truck bounces around, could of the screws gotten loose, is that something that may have happened ?

Help please.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:27 PM

What wheels did you put on? Specificaly, what's your offset & backspace?

Old 08-04-2015, 10:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by miltonluban
Can the screws loosen that tighten the torsion keys? I noticed when it was installed that it was just two screws....
Is there maintenance?
That needs to be done, like tighten the screws every so often, I know the truck bounces around, could of the screws gotten loose, is that something that may have happened ?

Help please.
The bolts will not loosen on their own, the amount of pressure on the bolt will prevent it from turning..

I personally think your problem is the width of your tires, not nessessarily the height, but that is also a problem. .

Its typical what you did, a lot of guys, try to squeeze in the biggest tires they can but, not realizing the impact it has on the vehicle..

The cheap way to correct your problem would be a 2 inch body lift, should fix, your problem, i just did mine, for under 150.00..

Last edited by liveinxs; 08-04-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:38 AM
Default You say a 2 inch body lift will solve the problen?

The rims I purchased have I think negative 42 off set. If that makes any sense that what comes to mind. I knew when I purchased the set my intentionson was to have the tires stick out pass the dies of the truck to give it a beefy look.

You say a 2 inch body lift will solve the rubbing issue, then what does the 2 1/2 inch torsion leveling keys do? Doesn't that lift the truck 2 1/2 inches? Or will the body lift of 2 inches lift it more?

Old 08-05-2015, 10:30 AM

How much did you crank the torsion bars?

Some H2s can fit 37s without anything being modded or changed. Others, like your case, rub a little. If your keys aren't cranked, see if you can crank them a bit to give you the added clearance. Post some pics of the wheels at full lock or at the point where they start to rub.

If you google this problem (there's numerous threads on this topic), most people mention cranking the tortion bars.

Here's a fairly comprehensive thread on leveling an H2 that discusses tire fitment from 35s to 40s. 37s should not require a lift, unless you have a lot of worn out components & there's just enough "sag" or drop in the suspension that it's now rubbing. In that case, you'd be replacing, not lifting.

Link

Old 08-05-2015, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by miltonluban
I have a hummer h2. And took out the air bags and installed springs in the back. So the back looks as if is raised 3-4 inches. So I changed my tires and rims to 13.5 wide rim and 37 inch height mud grappler tires, and when I turn the wheels the tires rub the wheel wells. So I installed 2 1/2 inch torsion keys, and left my tire pressure to 58lbs per pressure. About a few summer months passed and the tires are rubbing again, so I had to lower tire pressure to 45lbs per pressure, and it still rubs, I don't want to spend thousands for a lift kit...

Can torsion keys kind of like get loose or something? Causing the front end to drop some?
Torsion bars do fatigue over time. I'd recommend cranking your aftermarket keys slightly more to see if they indeed max out at 2.5" (as ReadLIFT torsion keys do) or swapping them out for others. Hummer torsion bar keys from Supreme Suspensions are indexed for up to 3" of lift. This will save you the time, money and complexity associated with body lift.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Banned

Complexity of a body lift...lol

Its one of the simplest mods to make, and under 150.00...cheap in my book.

I guess doing the brakes, would be a major overhaul.

What's complex, is maneuvering through the people who offer knowledgeable help, and those who, let's say, can't even remove a steering stabilizer..

Last edited by liveinxs; 08-05-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Former Sponsor
Smile Hummer Body Lift

Originally Posted by liveinxs
Complexity of a body lift...lol

Its one of the simplest mods to make, and under 150.00...cheap in my book.

I guess doing the brakes, would be a major overhaul.

What's complex, is maneuvering through the people who offer knowledgeable help, and those who, let's say, can't even remove a steering stabilizer..
It's a more involved and complicated at home do-it-yourself project to safely suspend the body without a lift and, unbolt the body from the chassis, extended the brake lines, disconnect wiring and possibly more, especially without the right tools. Installation time is estimated between 4-6 hours.

Last edited by bestliftkits; 08-05-2015 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bestliftkits
Indeed, it's a universal truth that applies to many do-it-yourself projects For an average at home do-it-yourself though, it's not easy to safely suspend 3 tons of vehicle to unbolt the body from chassis, bleed brake lines, disconnect wiring and possibly more, without a lift and all the right tools. It's certainly more complex than a torsion key install.
When you put it that way, yes it is more complex then keys...

Quick Reply: Advise please. Tires rub the wheel wells. Help!,,,