PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Advice, I'm a bit confused on H2s

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Default Advice, I'm a bit confused on H2s

Okay, so don't know if I'm dumb or in love with the H2. I've looked at H3s that are a 1/2-3/4 the price of an H2 but can't bring myself to buy an H3 over an H2. I feel H2s are superior in every aspect, except fuel economy.

I have some general questions about the H2 and hope you guys (and girls) can share your experience with your significant other (the H2). I'm trying to get the pulse of common problems associated with H2s and price out parts to get a feel for maintenance. As we all know, Hummers are out of production. The primary driving would occur by my wife, who won't be hard on it (I think...) and it likely wouldn't get more than 20K miles per year put on it. Do any of you have a general concept for the annual maintenance associated with it?

I did some research on the H3 and learned about the '06 model problems. Are any of you aware of similar issues with certain H2 production years?

How hard is it to find replacement parts for broken items? I'm looking at an '06 H2 with 34K miles but it looks like there is some minor rust on the bolts. I didn't get a good look at other parts but overall it looked in good shape.

The black epoxy coating on the running boards had significant chips and the finish on the spare tire's arm-swing (the one outside) is showing signs of rust. This should be easily fixable with some rust-gone and new black epoxy coating. --- any thoughts?

Also, what are some of the major things I should be looking for in H2 wear/tear?

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear your views on owning an H2 soon!

-The Newb

Old 07-05-2011, 02:10 PM

Newb:

I bought my 2007 Hummer H2 used about 1 year ago. I love this thing and not just as a dude, but as a vehicle owner. It had 27K on the clock and now has almost 40K. I bought mine for my wife to replace her 2002 GMC Yukon, and she liked it, but not as much as her Yukon, and I ended up selling my truck and buying her a used 4 door sedan. She just couldn't stomach the sticker shock at the pump, which I told her made no sense because it was the same with her Yukon when gas got expensive last time. It is mine now, and truth be told, it probably always was.

Anyway, just to let you know, it gets about 12 mpg no matter what you are doing, but by comparison, my 2004 Nissan Titan that I sold got that in town, and the GMC Suburban gets 10 and so does the Ford Excursion. Don't let anyone break your ***** about that, it is all a matter of degrees. It has the GMC 6.2 liter motor that GM has had parts for for years, so motor parts should not be a problem. Mine had a oil cooler line/oil pan gasket leak that was fixed under warranty. Make sure you get it the "once over" from a good mechanic to ensure that there are no issues before buying.

Mine has some of the same issues that the one you are looking at has with some chipping and minor oxidation. These are ****ling little things that can be solved pretty easily, so don't sweat that. This vehicle is a hybrid of the GMC Yukon, because it sits on that frame and they added the GMC truck rear end to it in order to tow 6700 pounds. It is 4 inches wider and a foot shorter than a GMC Yukon. Since most of the car is GM parts, most any of the parts you can buy for it should be widely available, regardless of the fact that AM General has stopped making them for GM.

My advice would also be to go for it and find a good one, don't buy the SUT, because it won't haul a damn thing and you would rather have the space covered by windows, and I think they look dumb, and likely so will everyone else. Also, look for one that has the outside spare tire rack, because if it doesn't and you have that one third row seat and a spare tire in the back, then you won't ba able to put anything in the back, because that will take up all your room.

Happy Humming to you Newb. I always wave to fellow Hum-Wagon owners because they know what I know---They are truly Like Nothing Else...

Old 07-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

How did you get a 6.2 in your 2007?

Old 07-05-2011, 03:27 PM

Yeah, my bad, 6.0 liter.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:15 PM

Wargod,

Thanks so much for the response and fielding the questions. Seeing how you bought yours still pretty young in use, an oil cooler line/oil pan gasket leak seems like something I should be on the lookout for. Thanks so much.

Overall, are there any BAD production years to stay away from?

- Thanks again.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:26 PM

I have had 3 H2s.. First was an 05.. Second was an 08. I got rid of that Vehicle which had the air suspension.. (IT is unreliable).. The 06 I currently have is my favorite. In my opinion it snaps my boat out of the water much easier than the 08..
The 08 had a bigger engine and six speed auto tranny but the 06 in my opinion had the best drivetrain if you want to use it as a workhorse . Both models got 12 mpg..

But you do not have to run premium in the 06 whereas 08 and above it is more or less required to make the engine run right..

Hope this helps

Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 PM

I bought my 06 h2 this Feb. I bought it with just over 20k and now it has 28k...absolutely no problems what so ever with it! Gas Milage is pathetic... About 12 mpg. My biggest complaint is all the negativity that comes with owning a h2. There are a lot of jerks that hate Hummers! You gotta have a thick skin to own one cause you have a small *****, you are to blame for the war & high gas prices! Its really sad that people judge you because of what you drive... You might want to check out FUH2 | **** You And Your H2 before you buy one. If you can get past the hate go for it! I love my hummer no matter what the jealous haters have to say!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Personally I think 07 was the "best" year... it has the quietest interior... and it was the last year before they ruined them...

I have an 03 and an 07... they are night and difference. The leather is nicer in the later models...

with that said I wouldn't avoid any years. Some things are VERY different in the 03's... like the antenna, seats, etc.... 03 and 04 had white face guages...