PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

accessory cost

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Default accessory cost

I think we all need to figure out a way to stop having to pay 15 times what something is worth just because it goes on a H-1. Geez, the government footed the r&d bill, and the initial purchase price was/is ridiculous. You have to buy a warn winch from AM General because warn cannot sell it to anyone else.

I guess everyone assumes that you are richer than 10 foot up a bull's *** and will pay whatever they want to charge for any accessory they come up with. Same with wheels and tires, etc. $800 for a set of nerf bars?? That is ridiculous.

Reminds me of when we had an airplane, it is EXACTLY the same. If a hose clamp cost $2 at the parts house then it will cost $20 to be faa approved for use on a plane.

Same racket.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Default RE: accessory cost

well.... you have to remember.... there are only a little over 11k trucks out there.... with that small market... someone has to pay for the E/D&D and overhead.... so it gets passed along to the consumer....

honestly, I make my accessories myself for the most part.... I enjoy doing it and its much cheaper.....

Old 06-21-2008, 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL: phazer42

honestly, I make my accessories myself for the most part.... I enjoy doing it and its much cheaper.....
thats the best way to do it!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

There are aftermarket options that cost less and some retailers of OEM stuff are better than others. I have also stolen stuff off of Ebay.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:12 PM

Ive noticed in the past week or so of searching for mods here and there to add to my H2, that people seem to think that chrome plated means GOLD plated. Even GM wants a fortune. My truck came without a tonneau cover for the rear. GM wants $1295 for it. I got a brand new one off Ebay for $809. Still rediculous, but a bit easier to swallow heheh.

Billet parts.. omg. Seen some massively outrageously priced stuff out there. But... its .. so shiney ....
[]

Old 06-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Remember what the settlers did to the Indians? A few pieces of shiny...and the Indians gave up almost everything. The aftermarket chrome guys know you guys just can't pass up the shiny stuff.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:10 PM

i can understand them being higher due to the pool of available vehicles. But there is no excuse for the cost of the steel wheels and regular tires. The trick is the manufacturers got the government to buy off on the fact that military parts are not NECCESSARILY made to DOT requirements, so they are illegal for on the road use. That is why the gov vehicles have always been basically off limits. The manufacturers do not want them flooding the economy with surplus vehicles, and in our case parts. Why in the heck does an HMMWV need to be 24 volt? Answer... parts security for certain suppliers.

Some of thisstarted after WWII. The old wives tale that someone got hurt in a surplus jeep and sued the gov is bull. They cut them up for scrap to put the commercial truck market back in business as opposed to flooding the market with 1000's of surplus jeeps.

Military aircraft are the same. I tried to buy a Bell 205 (that is the Jet Ranger in civilian)helicopter that was military at it's birth, and could not get insurance on it, because.... it was not inspected by the faa before being put into service.

Go figure.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:27 PM

Tonneau cover is on !

Parts : $809
Shipping $80
Gas : $5
Labor $ 210

Having some other poor dumb schmuck have to sort through all those bolts and nuts : Priceless.

For backyard mechanics that enjoy pain, there's do it yourself. For the rest of us, Hummer dealership.
Membership has its priveledges. heheh

Old 06-23-2008, 07:53 PM

Actually..... Humvee's are 24v because that was a millitary requirement. They required it because their other vehicles were 24v, radios were 24v etc.... and honestly, there are also arguments that 24v is better then 12v.... and some even that 36 or 42v is better yet.... thats not the reason the HMMWVs aren't to be driven by Civilians.....

The fact of the matter is that the vehicles, HMMWVs, were sold to the Military under a millitary contract. None of those vehicles were subject to the FMVSS requirements. Therefore, AM General could be held liable if there was a serious accident with a Civilian driving a Miliatary Humvee. If it was a GI driving a Government owned Humvee in that same accident, there are contracts stating that AM General isn't liable.... therefore, AM General doesn't want Humvee's in Civilians hands...

Some of our "Hummer Surplus" centers have over done themselves in inventory which causes them to thin their stuff is worth more then gold.... Again, its all about supply and demand... Not many folks have made a lot of money off of Hummer, but LOTS have tried....