PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

'95 H1 wagon help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Default '95 H1 wagon help

I'm new to this forum, and was hoping a few of the seasoned vets here could enlighten me on a potential purchace. I'm looking at buying a '95 H1 wagon, it has 85K miles on it, looks to be in decent shape, and the price seems reasonable to me. I don't need to talk money, but rather what should I be looking for on a civilian Hummer when considering a purchace? I've serviced HMMWV's as a Marine for 8 years, and aside from the basic chassis structure, I don't know much about the civilian versions, namely CTiS. Marine Corps HMMWV's did not have the tire inflation system. I also only serviced the A1 HMMWV's with the 6.2L V-8, not much hands on time with the A2 6.5L version. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Default RE: '95 H1 wagon help

Two primary things to look for on a '95 include:

1) Did it have the HVAC upgrade done yet? Look at the controls for the heat/AC - are they a digital looking panel with a digital display, or is it ***** with a red/blue transition color around it? If it has the *****, you can usually assume it already had the upgraded HVAC installed. If it is the old digitial display, a heater core failure is likely in your future, and the subsequent upgrade/repair could cost you in excess of $3500.

2) Check the fluid for properlevels in the transfer case and transmission. Also check the air filter for any signs of transmission fluid. Any of the above are indications you may have the dreaded "t-case cooling loop vampire" issue, where a cracked cooling loop can drain your transmission fluid, overfill your t-case, and the extra fluid will migrate up the vent lines to the air filter canister. This can cause damage to the transmission without it ever showing a leak externally.

If you have any specific questions about things you see on the truck, feel free to email me with any questions and I will answer as time allows... manny(at)serious4x4.com

-Manny